Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow if that place could talk. I wonder how many ancients passed between those gaps. It is a very beautiful place and looks like it could tell many a story.
TnMtns

DanL

Feb 17, 2007
Ellicott City, Maryland
Nice! If it wasn't a 5 hour drive from my house, I'd pay a visit (was hoping it was in northeastern WV). It looks like you took those pictures quite a few years ago. Do you still go back there regularly and if so, is it still relatively unspoiled?

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
TnMountains said:
Wow if that place could talk. I wonder how many ancients passed between those gaps. It is a very beautiful place and looks like it could tell many a story.
TnMtns

agreed Tn, you get that feeling when your there.

thanks for the comments guys and gals.

Dan, it's been a few years since I've been back, there are many parts of wv that are unspoiled and untravelled, just got to get off the beaten path. I'm considering driving up there this afternoon, I'll bring the camera along and update this post later this evening.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
more pics of Beartown 6/7/09

Attachments

• phpCCUMlIPM.jpg
    phpCCUMlIPM.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 338
  • php82hq1vPM.jpg
    php82hq1vPM.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 331
  • phpDftROoPM.jpg
    phpDftROoPM.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 342
  • phpI9QdKiPM.jpg
    phpI9QdKiPM.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 333

Drudge

Nov 19, 2007
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab: eTrac, Excalibur II, Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks amazing. I could see taking my mountain bike through there :thumbsup:

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
I'm always drawn to places like that. Have yet to MD any of them at all, but have some picked out. Will post pics as soon as I get them. One spot, has names and dates carved in the 19th century.

Had a little cabin built beneath a rock overhang when I was a kid.. er young kid. :D

Great shots!

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Appreciate the comments everyone. I got off the tourist trail and found some interesting places that would make an md'er or artifact hunter drool. The first pic is a rock shelter, 2nd pic is about 50 yards from that is a really old civil war era fence, and behind the fence is a natural limestone ravine that could have easily been some type of fort. I say this because the fence is right in front of the ravine and faces the only opening on the ridge that overlooks a field.

Attachments

• phpTB4Tv5PM.jpg
    phpTB4Tv5PM.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 219
  • php4n6B4DPM.jpg
    php4n6B4DPM.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 232
  • phpa2vlBLPM.jpg
    phpa2vlBLPM.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 213
  • php1qGoGuPM.jpg
    php1qGoGuPM.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 216

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic shots I really do want to go there! :icon_sunny: Do you know any history of the people who traveled or lived there? :read2:

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
beale said:
thirty7, do you now live in Beartown, WVa? I was born and raised about 8 miles from there up the Little Sandy River, a town by the name of Raysal. The town was named for Ray Salvadus. Those photos you have there were they taken on the river side of the mountain or on the Panther State Forest on the other side of the mountain? I have been in every nook and cranny, every hollow and spur within fifty miles of Beartown as a youngster searching for wild ginseng. I have searched in Panther State Forest also, beautiful country except for the Japanese hornets, rattlesnakes, copperheads and an occasional bear or two. I have hunted ginseng on Whiteoak, Preacher's Fork, Slick Rock, Big Lick and other streams in Panther State Forest. If you go to the top of Beartown mountain and turn to the left along the ridge road you will end up on Bradshaw Mountain on State Line Ridge near a place called Estepp Ridge. The ridge was named for my grandmother's people on my dad's side of the family. My gggrandfather was shot and killed on the ridge during the Civil War while holding my ggrandmother in his arms. All told during the war over 35 of my ancestors on that side of the family was killed holding the line between the North and the South after West Virginia separated from Virginia on June 20, 1863.

Keep posting the great pictures. Where exactly is that trail located? I know I have been there but the location fells from my memory. Again thanks for the great pictures and taking me back home if only in memory.

Hello Beale, I enjoyed your post, and the area you're talking about is on the opposite side of the state as this Beartown is in the far eastern side of West Virginia in Pocahontas county. I've been to panther state park and the scenery is quite similar , really nice country. I'm from Greenbrier county originally , but now live in western Va.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
no problem Albert, I should have said what area I was talking about in the first post. It's actually in the town of Droop, area of a significant civil war battle. Check it out if you get the chance. have a good one.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now theres a real treasure :icon_thumleft:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aw man, wish I could go there and camp for a few days and explore. Maybe in my next life. Cool pics of a cool place.

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
Well i tell you guys what ill go hiking soon. Ill take my camera. Don't be scared when i show the biggest freaking hill that i climb.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
civil war hunter said:
Well i tell you guys what ill go hiking soon. Ill take my camera. Don't be scared when i show the biggest freaking hill that i climb.

Well alright sir, looking foward to seeing the pic.

Attachments

• phpuUQgWAPM.jpg
    phpuUQgWAPM.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 161
  • phpaEZNXPPM.jpg
    phpaEZNXPPM.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 163

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread