Painted Bunting

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III
These guys used to be pretty common here in South Texas. This guy started coming to my bird feeder so I set up on the porch to get a shot. This is the first one that I have seen in over 20 years. As my friend Tim said, it looks like he was involved in a rainbow painting accident!

IMG_1531.jpg

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting a photo of a bird I surely never have seen, I remember them in my books and thinking that it is one of the most beautiful birds in North America. Shame they are not more common!

Don

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
While looking around the place one day years ago, I saw a painted bunting on top of a weed stalk getting after the seeds. That observation told me to leave some of the tall grass and weeds around the 10 acres we have here. Now every year we have at least 2-3 nesting pairs around. They are one of the most beautiful birds in N. America. As colorful as many parrots and other rain forest varieties.
Observation has also taught me, after watching the cat, not to trim every bush, and tree, the cats prefer to climb the trees that are brush free underneath them. Will save a few nesting birds.
We now have boatloads of birds around, and they aren't blackbirds and sparrows.
While barely discernable, here is a pic of a Painted Bunting as well as an Indigo Bunting (just to left) side by side out in the front yard.
dsc00170y.jpg

BW

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
:thumbsup: :coffee2:

A rare and beautiful bird indeed!

I can recall seeing only one painted bunting in the wild, and that was over 40 years ago in rural Crawford County, Arkansas.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful bird. I have loved birds all of my life. I remember seeing a picture of them in the bird book. Nice picture :thumbsup:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're beautiful birds. Wish there were more in my area, I've only seen one and that was many years ago. Thank you for sharing this pic with us. :icon_thumleft:

:wink: RR

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful birds. I think I have been calling them indigo buntings by mistake. See them at the feeder every once in a while. Great photo .

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Wow what a pretty little bird, a delight to any bird watcher! I would be honored to have one at my feeders.

Do you know what their food of choice is? I wonder if they would like the grape jelly like the Oriole?

I agree get us more pictures!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread