NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Flew out to Tampa, Fla. with my friend on Thursday. We landed at 3:30pm, temp was 94, humidity was 98%, heat iindex was around 102 degrees. We picked up the two cars we went after and proceeded on our drive back to Michigan. Everything was peachy-dandy till we were going into Cincinatti :o. The skies ahead of us was turning a sickly purplish blue-black, I thought there was a twister somewhere in those skies for sure :dontknow:! Needless to say, I do not like those things >:(. We had no way out of there, we were stuck in traffic and concrete barriers on either side of us. So I did the only thing I could do (follow the leader of the pack) into the bowels of the approaching storm. I was listening to a bluegrass gospel show on FM radio, and I couldn't believe it, this is the first time I ever heard lightning crackling through the FM band! I grabbed my camera from off the seat next to me and tried to catch bolts, they were very loud and numerous. Didn't catch any, but did get some pics of the ominus skies ahead........Enjoy........NGE

Attachments

• heading into trouble.jpg
    heading into trouble.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 288
  • entering cinci.jpg
    entering cinci.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 295
  • cinci nasty.jpg
    cinci nasty.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 281
  • the sky is falling.jpg
    the sky is falling.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 299

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that's odd.

(not the storms, the cars... cars usually come from Michigan and go to Florida)

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, we flew to Fla. and drive cars back. My friend has been doing this for the past 30 years and does very well at it. Try to find cars like these in a "rust belt" state. He buys mainly from inland Fla. areas. And nothing smoked in, ate in, high mileage, worn out paint, or fraudulently advertised...........NGE

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Love the storms that don't hurt anyone. For lightening pics, set your camera on video when there is a lot of it going on. Then you can select which still shot you like of the lightening. Can't tell you exactly how to do that just yet, I've only gotten as far as taping an episode, but maybe in movie editer is where your video is broken down into frame by frame stillshots. I avoid the big highways every chance I get, it's two lanes for me if that is an option.

naturegirl

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, that don't look so bad compared to some of the whoppers we've had out here lately. Whew! :o

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
It worked! After my previous response, I went ahed and tried to get a still shot using a free trial from frameshots. My computer might have the ability built in. But I don't have the ability to use my computer to it's fullest capacity, so I looked for an online, easy, free editor. When it was lighning one morning, I just shot a few seconds of video, then using this editor, i went frame by frame and selected the one I liked. Ok, I'm ready for some storms now!

ng

Attachments

• capt lightning.jpg
    capt lightning.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 217

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread