TGIF afterhours

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thank goodness I made it! Afterhours or before are my favorite times at work. Stayed late today to finish up a personal project, wandered around and took pictures while the sun was setting and the air-lines were wheezing out the last of the air for the week. Really a neat place when everyone is gone, you just walk around real quiet and look. Hope ya'll like the artshow.

naturegirl

Attachments

• my room.jpg
    my room.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 335
  • waxroom.jpg
    waxroom.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 340
  • afterhours.jpg
    afterhours.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 332
  • afterhours1.jpg
    afterhours1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 344

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yee-haaw, NG!! You need to tell us all a lot more about where you work! I got a suspicion, but I could be wrong. If I ain't, it's just toooooo cool. Kinda looks like me in that one pic.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow now thats a collection

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
That there dangerous cowboy with the six-shooters is Frank Eaton, aka Pistol Pete of the Oklahoma State Cowboys! GO POKES!!! That is a 3 ft. maquet of the 12 ft statue installed in Perkins, of all places, home of Frank Eaton. Frank was the real deal cowboy lawman, His life story is interesting. The artist of that piece is Wayne Cooper.

These are taken at The Bronze Horse foundry in Pawhuska, owner John Free Sr. He's also a sculpter of the western genre. He built the foundry over 25 years ago so he could cast his work without having to go to Texas or Colorado. Word spread and other artists started bringing thier work to the foundry, and today it's still a small place, mom and pop kind of business, but we cast for quite a few people. In the photo with Pistol Pete are two examples of John's work, the front one is Ben Johnson, actor/cowboy, native Pawhuskan. It shows Ben roping a steer. The town of Pawhuska is trying ti sell enough maquets to pay for a life-and-quarter size statue to honor Ben and John both. In the first picture, you can see the large horse head and ben's head. John is getting on in years, and this project is just too large for him to work on, so I've had the awsome honor bestowed on me to do the sculpting of the big one, under John's direction of course.

My primary job at the foundry is moldmaker, and I get to do most of the enlargements that come our way, some artists are too busy, or just don't want to do the labor involved in a big one. That's fine for me, because I get to sculpt. T-net memeber Buckshot is employeed there also as a metal chaser and he's learning to do patinas

ng

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent, ng, cool job! (Pete tended to stretch the truth, too, but no matter! He was still an all around cool dude.)

Attachments

• pete3.jpg
    pete3.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 275
  • pete3.jpg
    pete3.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 273

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool place to work naturegirl! We watched a youtube video of some of your co-workers pouring bronze. Looks like a dangerous job unless you really know what you're doing!

I can't wait to see the bronze of Ben Johnson--he was my husbands Great Uncle! When my husband and I got married in '94 he was back here staying and he bought us a house full of furniture for a wedding present. He was a GREAT man with a good heart!!
My mother-in-law gave me this oil painting of him, painted by George Francuch in January 1978.
regards~~sandcreek

Attachments

• P1100334.JPG
    P1100334.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 265
OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
That's a very good painting Sand creek, and what a nice gift he gave you for a wedding present. I knew he has a lot of relatives still in the area, but I hadn't heard your husband was one.,
but being from Hominy I still don't know a lot of Pawhuska people.

We are close to having enough to cast the piece I think. John said go ahead and do the sculpture and get the mold made, then it will be ready to go when there is enough money. Buckshot helped me with the steer and I'm making the mold on it now. I have to work on Ben in between my other duties, and it's frustrating that it isn't progressing any faster. But this year, I'm committed to getting it finished. Ya'll are more than welcome to come to the foundry to see progress, Right now Ben's face is done. John said don't touch it any more. He's satisfied with it. I hope Ben's family likes it.

I don't know how hard Mike MaCartney has tried to contact anyone in Hollywood to sell the maquets. I know there still has to be Ben Johnson fans alive out there, and they would like to maybe see him imortalized. Charles Banks Wilson was just at the foundry Thurs, and he said the same thing, Hollywood. This project has been going on now for about 10 years, and I'm past wanting to see it installed! I keep thinking something good is going to happen soon, that's why I feel a renewed sense of urgency to finish this project.

naturegirl

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Great place to work and gain historical perspective. Naturegirl. Did you all have anything to do with the bronze of the mustangs running in water at Los Colinas in Irving, Tx. ? Fascinating.

Love the Ben Johnson painting Sand Creek, one of my favorite western actors.

BW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread