Indian Creek - Central Texas ghost town

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 001-reduced.jpg
    001-reduced.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,004

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking place, did you get to detect?

Fossis..............

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Fossis. The trip last week was my first trip to Indian Creek in about 20 years. When I was much younger, my detecting buddy and I spent several hours hunting around the side showing and a bit around the back. If memory serves me correctly, we found a few old pennies and an old shield or buffalo nickel. I do remember, though, how difficult this place was to hunt because of high weeds and young mesquite trees. It was 104 degrees the day I took this photograph. I don't hunt out in the country this time of years because rattlesnakes and copperheads are abundant around places like this. It is on private property now and so the landowner must be located and permission given to hunt this large schoolground area.
~Texas Jay

Attachments

• 003-reduced.jpg
    003-reduced.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,281

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: cool looking place did you get to hunt it any ?

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Allen. I'm sure this school site has many coins and other valuables in it. Our county has many such ghost towns that have been detected very little. In addition to this school building, there is also an old church building on the main road going through Indian Creek. I'll post a photo of it on this message. In addition, there are many old abandoned homesites in the area too. My problem is that I have much of the fall and winter scheduled for other treasure hunting projects so I probably won't have time to hunt this town or its surrounding homesites this year. I hope that some members here will consider visiting Brown County, Texas and checking out some of our numerous historical sites.
~Texas Jay

Attachments

• 0015-2-reduced.jpg
    0015-2-reduced.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 584

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great places, Texas Jay! I was born in Oklahoma (no, not a Ray Wylie Hubbard song) and I'm stuck in Colorado now, but every time I happen to get down into Texas it feels like coming home. I'd recommend it as a place to visit to everyone on this site.

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi RGINN. One thing you have in your favor, living in Colorado, is much cooler weather in the summertime. :) Thank you for your recommendation to other members. Our county is full of very hospitable citizens and we always love visitors to see the many historical sites we have here. On the trip from Indian Creek to Key's Crossing on the Colorado River, I spotted this friendly longhorn who looked like he wanted to have his picture taken.
~Texas Jay

Attachments

• 011-reduced.jpg
    011-reduced.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 429

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread