We are loseing it all!

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
I wany to start this thread to make some folks aware of the fact,that soon there will be almost notheing that is not built on.I have taken some pics over the past two years,that will show what it WAS like before.
First the pretty part...
IMAG0014.jpg

These are all gone now.
IMG_6418.jpg

IMG_6419-1.jpg

Before they built some crappy condos.Water used to drain down the hill and fill this little pond.
IMAG0029.jpg

IMAG0009-1-1.jpg

IMAG0003-2.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

Here it is now...I know that no rain is not helping,BUT since the houses are ontop and down the hill.The water in diverted elswhere.There used to be cedar and little cerrks...All gone!...
IMG_0457-2.jpg

This is the first big cuts...
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_9899.jpg

Two weeks later....
IMG_0649-1.jpg

The next week
IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_1839-1.jpg

IMG_1840-1.jpg

I used to see all types of critters & birds..ETC...All or most pushed out..Lots of road kill..Very sad!
Does anyone else have some pics and such,of a spot thats gone now?

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Everyone says that progress is good. If this is progress, then leave everything alone. Shame, Shame...Thanks for sharing.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's right, it's progress. I reckon everybody ought to be entitled to a place to live. It's probably also their right to squeeze every dollar they can out of the earth. Cause we all know, money is the key to a better quality of life, ain't it? Don't worry too long, neogeo, all that will pass away. Maybe in our life time, maybe not. That's called progress too.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will all end Takoda. I been trying to figure out what the difference is between a beaver dam and a man made bridge is. Both architects were put here and built what they did best. I don't know, I hate to see the landscape change. When I was little I was very pointedly told by the old folks " This world is not your home" and they would go on and on about that. Maybe, we should all just whup out lawn chairs, set up on the edge of the bank, drink a beer, and watch it all slide down into the lap of the generations to come. You think?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang! Before I read where you were I was thinking, that looks like the land around my daughter's house in Pflugerville, TX! Wasn't far off was I? Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texas is kinda' strange in that it has very little public land for hunting and fishing. Well excepting the gulf coast. Anyway most of the hunting is on private land. Unless you know someone or plan on paying there is no place to hunt anyway. I have lived around my little community all my life and the places I ran wild in the woods as a youth are now shopping centers or housing projects. Very little of it is left. The only place I can take my grand kids is to the parks and they are crowded and full of people and trash. I feel like that old Indian that stood by the road with the tear running down my face. Then I found out he wasn't an Indian at all, but an Italian dressed up like and Indian because he looks like the stereotype. Even that wasn't real! M :'( nty

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the nature of capitalism. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
It's sad sometimes, and you have to ask, why right here?

Most of my projects have been areas of nothing, turned into something. However, when we did our huge road project, I don't know of one archaeological dig that was done, and the road covered a lot of river bottom, in spite of bridge piers being set on a historical island state park. Once dirt started moving, nobody was allowed on site to do any detecting in the off hours or rainy days. Several good ponds were destroyed as well.

I feel guilty every time a dead tree is knocked down, or a nest is seen in a downed tree. On the other hand, someone else owns the land and is paying someone to get the work done, I rationalize that I have to eat and pay my bills like everyone else.

Still, sometimes you just hate to do it. And, there have been times that I have been able to suggest alternative routes for roads or driveways, better use of drainage, and allow the landowner to keep features that make the property more valuable and, foremost, environmentally friendly.

Still, it's sad, when the property owner only sees a pond as a potential home site and wants it filled as soon as possible.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Neogeo,boy there are alot of places in Austin that I remember that were wild and now houses stripcenters,schools,etc.. How about Willsbranch area,I can remember hunting there when I was younger,when there was no roads,The Domain area,behind IBM,Jester Estates off of loop360 and RR2222 my buddy use to find all kinds of arrowheads out there,the upper part of the Bartoncreek greenbelt,past mopac and both swimming holes,also lets not forget Pflugerville and Hutto all that good blackland praire dirt,I'm lucky I still have memories,but wish I would have taken the camera along.

OP
OP
Neogeo

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
I have been in Texas for 3 years now ,& it still shocks my how much they demo....Sometimes after they cut down all the nice old trees,They let the lot just sit there!Being from Baltimore,I fell in love with Texas from the get-go!I would wander for hours in the heat looking for fossils and such...But those spots are all gone now.I think it's a real shame that so many folks are just clueless to all the history just under thier nose.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Very sad to see all the beauty destroyed!

I live in Virginia Beach, VA and I can tell you, since 1978, when I was first stationed here, I have seen family farms plowed down and now sits condos, townhouses and homes. Granted, VB has grown in population, mainly due to the many military bases here, but come on...

And there are many homes (townhomes, apt buildings, etc) that need to be torned down. Really bad shape and bad neighborhoods! Why don't they concentrate on rebuilding old neighborhoods with worn out buildings?

Chesapeake use to be nothing but farm land...today, you would never know what was there just over 35 years ago...that's about how long I have lived here!

Hindsight on my part, wish I had taken more area photos of what use to be!

I think the most rural place we still have, if you call that rural, is the Pungo / Strawbridge area. It's changed some, but not much, except where the Dam Neck entrance is (military base). I remember a Mom & Pop store there as you turned to go onto the base...all gone, shopping centers all over that place!

Progress? Hmmmm.....
Annmarie

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its happening everywhere. Went back to Ohio with my three sons afew years ago, we were going to fish my favorite spot. Its now a parking lot. Here in Montana Plum Creek Timber Co is sellin wildlands in the middle of nowhere. They are the largest private landowner in the US. Lakes the have always been acessable are being sold and posted no tresspassing.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used to each generation would work hard on keeping the family property.Now its this generation that is busting it all up for the mighty dollar. I see it all the time with large mountain tracts. I work with land on several fronts so I know. Its all about money Neo. You digging artifacts behind them?

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been in the Drywall business for 25 yrs. There has been many times that I Drywalled the first house in the starting of a soon to be subdivision and it is terrible to see the Deer and other Wildlife run right through the new front yards, knowing there life has been altered and even shortned to fill the needs of human population. I have seen Beautiful old mansions,Beautiful Farms and just hundreds of Years of History wiped out in a matter of days. To fill the Newly altered location for houses to sit side by side. I mainly started Metal Detecting because of watching this, I figured whatever relics I could find would be Memories and History that I could save from land that will soon be forgotten. I still have some cards that I made 20yrs ago that I would give the builders to get permission to detect before they Dozed the areas out.

Always enjoy Today because Tomorrow may not be like Yesterday.

Nova Treasure

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008
Not much land is being created but population is growing rapidly - People have to live somewhere .Though,it is strange that most areas of development seem to be on the better farmland. How long before the developments have to be moved to open areas for crops to feed our population ? Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Great Pics!

But the commentary is hype. There is PLENTY of land for everyone and we are producing more food than we ever have. There are more game animals now than ever and the earth is fine...

People buying houses means people are working... progress is not the enemy, the death of capitolism is the enemy. If I can afford to live my dream and buy and build - then I should be allowed to without worrying about someone's feelings.

I don't know where YOU all live - but that I bet it was probebly farmland at one time too... or a pretty waterfall or a place where birds lived.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
Great Pics!

But the commentary is hype. There is PLENTY of land for everyone and we are producing more food than we ever have. There are more game animals now than ever and the earth is fine...

People buying houses means people are working... progress is not the enemy, the death of capitolism is the enemy. If I can afford to live my dream and buy and build - then I should be allowed to without worrying about someone's feelings.

I don't know where YOU all live - but that I bet it was probebly farmland at one time too... or a pretty waterfall or a place where birds lived.

Not to discredit you Jim, but you live in Montana. :wink: You have so much land out there that nobody could Ever pave over it all.

OP
OP
Neogeo

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
I can understand 1 or 2 homes,my problem is the shopping malls 3 miles apart.Houses complexs that have been less then 1/2 full for two years now.I don't have a huge prob. with expanding.But we don't need a Starbucke every 4 miles!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread