Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Piebald" Whitetail Buck

We've got something kinda neat to show you all. We've posted about how we feed the deer every fall/winter and this buck has been coming in for 2 years now. He is a really cool looking buck because he has white spots all over his face, down his back and on his hind quarters. My daughter has pics of him from last year and even in the velvet in the summer(2008). This year he has really grown in antler length and in body mass. We think he's a young buck because his tarsal glands on the insides of his back legs aren't very dark.
First 2 pics are from 2008(late summer/fall) and last 2 pics are from this evening(10-4-09).
Thanks for looking!
sandcreek

Attachments

• P1010062.JPG
    P1010062.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 615
  • P1020791 (2).JPG
    P1020791 (2).JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 631
  • IMG_2163.JPG
    IMG_2163.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 626
  • IMG_2134.JPG
    IMG_2134.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 641

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Re: "Piebald" Whitetail Buck

Nice buck!

A relative has a full body mount of a smaller piebald buck, seems like it is about 50/50 white/brown. I'm sure it stuck out like a sore thumb. It's colored more like a cow or pony.

How close were you for that second picture?

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Excavator said:
Nice buck!

A relative has a full body mount of a smaller piebald buck, seems like it is about 50/50 white/brown. I'm sure it stuck out like a sore thumb. It's colored more like a cow or pony.

How close were you for that second picture?
Excavator--my daughter took that picture while standing at our yard fence, so maybe 50 yards. This buck keeps getting more spotted as he grows older.
She's sitting outside right now (in a blind) hoping to get a better picture of him this evening ;D.
Thanks for the comments!
sandcreek

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Excellent shots. Now is that that new camera? You know you can save up and run down to WalMart and get a pretty good telephoto lens. And a tripod, too. That comes in handy. When that kid becomes a famous photographer, I will expect her to be posting her work here first for all of us to see!

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RGINN said:
Excellent shots. Now is that that new camera? You know you can save up and run down to WalMart and get a pretty good telephoto lens. And a tripod, too. That comes in handy. When that kid becomes a famous photographer, I will expect her to be posting her work here first for all of us to see!
RGINN--the first two pictures are with the old camera. The last two are with the new camera but she was using a tele-photo lens that doesn't have an "image stabilizer" and that's why they're a little blurry :-[. When we get some more money saved up we're going to get another zoom lens that does have the stabilizer. She almost didn't let me post those last two because they were not very good shots.
Thank you so much for your comments and Josie thanks you too!!
kind regards,
sandcreek

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Some better pics taken this evening~~~

Attachments

• IMG_2262.JPG
    IMG_2262.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG_2265.JPG
    IMG_2265.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 3,109
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Excavator said:
Thanks Excavator! Here's a side view of this buck.
regards,
sandcreek

Attachments

• IMG_2277.JPG
    IMG_2277.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 4,123

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

Hey! Tom's been talking about that one and another one for a couple of years. The other one has a big white spot like a blanket on his back. He wonders if these guys are desendants from cross bred fallow/whitetail. The racks are more up-right than most white tail. He knows where it hangs out, I'm sure you do too, but we won't tell! Great pictures!

naturegirl

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

naturegirl said:
Hey! Tom's been talking about that one and another one for a couple of years. The other one has a big white spot like a blanket on his back. He wonders if these guys are desendants from cross bred fallow/whitetail. The racks are more up-right than most white tail. He knows where it hangs out, I'm sure you do too, but we won't tell! Great pictures!

naturegirl
Naturegirl--I kinda figured Tom had seen this buck. I'm sure Tom has to slow down when he crosses the cattle guard because we always have deer along our driveway---I need to get a deer crossing sign and put up down there :wink:.
Since this is the second year this buck has been in to feed, we've really enjoyed seeing how much he's grown. He's the biggest one to come in so far and he runs with 3 or 4 more smaller bucks. "Old Spotty" sure does like the corn (as you can tell by that belly of his) ;D. And you're right, he might have some of those "fallow" deer genes. He's a very distinct looking buck!
Thanks for the comments!
sandcreek

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter

Nice! Forwarding these to my Uncle and Mother, they love them.

He might want to stop assuming that profile pose for a while.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other

mmmmmmmmm.......Tastes like chicken!.........NGE

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Excavator said:
Nice! Forwarding these to my Uncle and Mother, they love them.

He might want to stop assuming that profile pose for a while.
Yep, that's not a very good position to be in during hunting season ::) ;D.
Hope your mom and uncle enjoy the pics., Excavator!
nowgittineverything said:
mmmmmmmmm.......Tastes like chicken!.........NGE
We love the taste of fresh venison, NGE. My daughter has a youth hunt next weekend and is going to try a kill a doe for the meat. We always smoke the back straps and hind quarters. Yummy!
MiniMe said:
Beautiful buck....and rack.
Thanks MiniMe!
DigginThePast said:
Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks DigginThePast! Glad you liked the pics!
regards,
sandcreek~~~

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE

naturegirl said:

naturegirl
Hey naturegirl,

I know a guy who has a high fenced in area with both whitetail as well as fallow deer and he claims they avoid each other like the plaque. But in nature, who knows? In the news a while back there was a bear shot that was a griz/polar hybrid.
Darn nice buck there regardless. Great post Sandcreek and your daughter is to be congratulated on her prowess!

BW

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bravowhiskey said:
naturegirl said:

naturegirl
Hey naturegirl,

I know a guy who has a high fenced in area with both whitetail as well as fallow deer and he claims they avoid each other like the plaque. But in nature, who knows? In the news a while back there was a bear shot that was a griz/polar hybrid.
Darn nice buck there regardless. Great post Sandcreek and your daughter is to be congratulated on her prowess!

BW
Thanks BW! She loves to take pictures of these things as much as she loves to hunt them. I think the most fun we have is when they come back from year to year and we can identify them or when we find a shed from one of these deer we feed.
kind regards,
sandcreek

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Love those shots I really love the side one and the one above it. It looks like he was posing for her! :icon_sunny:
Keep it up Josie your doin great!

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mental Granny said:
Love those shots I really love the side one and the one above it. It looks like he was posing for her! :icon_sunny:
Keep it up Josie your doin great!
Thanks MG! She's trying to get these things used to seeing her pop-up blind that she sits in to take pictures. They're still a little skittish and nervous especially when her camera starts clicking :D.
regards,
sandcreek

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other

Sandcreek, if you daughter's camera is digital, tell her to turn off the shutter and other sounds. It should be on the camera's menu somewhere. I have a silent operating camera, because I turned off my sound..........NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread