Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, my daughter and husband have been deer hunting hard and heavy this week! Finally this morning, right after day break, my daughter got the chance to shoot a really nice buck! He is a 10 point and weighed 152lbs. She is just thrilled beyond words! The buck was bedded down with a doe and wasn't paying hardly any attention to my husband and daughter as they were walking through the woods. The doe saw them but she didn't run and that old buck wasn't about to leave that doe! The doe started to walk off and the buck stood up to go with her. My husband whistled at him to get him to stop. As soon as he turned broadside my daughter drew down on him and shot him in the neck(she likes to shoot them in the neck because she says they DROP! ;D We call her the "Sniper" :D). She has a Remington 22-.250 rifle. (Buck was taken on private land with the land owners permission to hunt)

We're having backstraps for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow :wink:.

Thanks for looking!

~~~sandcreek~~~

Attachments

• IMG_3277.JPG
    IMG_3277.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 747

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Whaaaat! Can you say, Bullwinkle?
Maan that's a nice buck.
What's the spread? 20-22?
Nice cymetrical buck
Awwman that's going to cost you to get that baby mounted...I know you are going to do that for her first buck.....RIGHT?

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
Whaaaat! Can you say, Bullwinkle?
Maan that's a nice buck.
What's the spread? 20-22?
Nice cymetrical buck
Awwman that's going to cost you to get that baby mounted...I know you are going to do that for her first buck.....RIGHT?
I think it was a 21 1/2" spread :headbang:! They are rough scoring it right now. And yes we sure are going to get it mounted for her---she's already got a place picked out on the wall :laughing7:. This will be her second buck to have mounted---she killed a nice 10 point last year, too. This one might be a little bigger, though ;D.
People are always talking about Iowa bucks or Kansas bucks, but this proves there's some pretty good ones in Oklahoma, too. She said she was shaking so bad with buck fever she almost couldn't see through the scope :laughing9:.
Thanks so much for the comments, 4-H!!!
kind regards,
sandcreek

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a very nice buck.
I grew up hunting since I can remember and my specialty was bow hunting...I loved it. That and Trout fishing....I swore I would never give it up. Never!
And Metal decting....Cmon, not over Deer hunting or Trout fishing..That was for fat guys!..I'm doomed! Not fat but, doomed. Funny how our interests change. Hey, what about sending us one of those backstraps? ;D Rats! I didn't think so ::) Congratulations on That fine buck again!

We always enjoy your post's. Sincerely 4-H staff

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
That's a very nice buck.
I grew up hunting since I can remember and my specialty was bow hunting...I loved it. That and Trout fishing....I swore I would never give it up. Never!
And Metal decting....Cmon, not over Deer hunting or Trout fishing..That was for fat guys!..I'm doomed! Not fat but, doomed. Funny how our interests change. Hey, what about sending us one of those backstraps? ;D Rats! I didn't think so ::) Congratulations on That fine buck again!

We always enjoy your post's. Sincerely 4-H staff
Hey, 4-H, they just finished scoring this buck and he net scored 164 1/8---gross score was 172 4/8. She wants to see if she can get him in the Cy Curtis Award Program.
If we could send you a backstrap, we would! But you know after tomorrow, there probably won't be anything left :tongue3:. My husband is the master chef when it comes to cooking deer meat and he's got the backstraps marinading right now and planning on putting them on the old smoker in the morning.
Have a Great Thanksgiving!!
sandcreek

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
you sure about the wieght?? that looks bigger than 150 lbs. or shes a small girl. Very Nice deer, Very rare to see one like that around here.

S

seger98

Is this the picture taker that downed that buck? That's a big deer. Good for her! :thumbsup:

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
All right J! I've been waiting on that. Now you know, Tom's gonna say that was his pet. This county has a reputation in the state because of bucks just like that one. I was comparing the rack to the one hanging over my head. It's uncanny how similar they are, isn't it? You can sure see the genes, I guess it's that way everywhere? Congrads girl! :icon_thumleft:

ng

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TEXAN Connection said:
you sure about the wieght?? that looks bigger than 150 lbs. or shes a small girl. Very Nice deer, Very rare to see one like that around here.
Yes, the weight was right--the picture was taken before he was field dressed though.
And of course those big 'ol horns make him look rather large, too ;D.
Thanks for the comments, TEXAN Connection!
~sandcreek~
seger98 said:
Is this the picture taker that downed that buck? That's a big deer. Good for her! :thumbsup:
Yes, that's the "picture taker(Josie). She saw this deer during black powder season but couldn't get close enough for a shot. Yesterday, she and my husband were hunting the area where they thought he was, and sure enough, she got to shoot him. She was thanking the Good Lord for that!
Thanks seger98!!
regards,
sandcreek
naturegirl said:
All right J! I've been waiting on that. Now you know, Tom's gonna say that was his pet. This county has a reputation in the state because of bucks just like that one. I was comparing the rack to the one hanging over my head. It's uncanny how similar they are, isn't it? You can sure see the genes, I guess it's that way everywhere? Congrads girl! :icon_thumleft:

ng
You know a lot of these bucks in this area really do have similarities--like split brow tines and so on. And I think that the deer have really started to grow better because of the good management by the Dept. of Wildlife. I'm glad they have made rifle season 2 weeks instead of 1. It gives more people the chance to harvest a deer, which helps control the population.
Josie was just so tickled to get this deer! Thanks for the comments, naturegirl!!
~~sandcreek~~

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohhhh Congratulations. Nice tines and spread. What a dandy he is. Scored very well. Please tell me you took the inside loins and not just the back straps? Tell her WOW from the mountains of Tennessee. I saw 5 little buck chasing this morn. May head out to Watonga Ok and do a couple days out there.
Great deer tell her she inspires me !!!
TnMountains

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
Ohhhh Congratulations. Nice tines and spread. What a dandy he is. Scored very well. Please tell me you took the inside loins and not just the back straps? Tell her WOW from the mountains of Tennessee. I saw 5 little buck chasing this morn. May head out to Watonga Ok and do a couple days out there.
Great deer tell her she inspires me !!!
TnMountains
Hey TnMtns---We didn't take out the inside loins, just plumb forgot about those! My brother had just told my husband about how he needed to do that last week. We had never heard of those before. They say that those are better than the backstraps(?).
Josie is pretty proud of this deer. They loaded the buck on my husbands flatbed truck and drove through town showing it off. ;D They cruised through Sonic and through the convienence store parking lots. They were even tempted to mount it on the hood of the truck, but that might have been a little to red-necky even for them :laughing9:.
Thanks for the comments, TnMountains! Hope if you come out to Oklahoma to hunt that you get something even better than this one!!!!
Kind regards and Happy Thanksgiving!!!
sandcreek

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Congrats :thumbsup: :thumbsup: That is one fine animal you got there. The .22-250 is my favorite deer rifle also. But I never have time to hunt anymore, just sometime with my camera.

Thor!

Aug 30, 2005
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
1280X & Sovereign
WOW!!! Awesome deer! Our season starts this Monday I can't wait to have backstraps!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
wow 152 dressed thats a a big deer indeed -- nice rack on em too.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron & April said:
Congrats :thumbsup: :thumbsup: That is one fine animal you got there. The .22-250 is my favorite deer rifle also. But I never have time to hunt anymore, just sometime with my camera.
Thanks Ron! The .22-250 has been her deer rifle from the beginning and she said she likes it because it doesn't kick as hard as other rifles and will still knock something down.
Now that she's harvested a buck she'll go back to "hunting" with her camera. That season stays open all year long ;D!!
Mentalfloss said:
That is a beautiful deer, to tell you the truth i didnt know they had deer that big down there.
Thanks Mentalfloss! Oklahoma is a state that is often over-looked---maybe we need to get Michael Waddell and Real Tree Roadtrips to come out here :laughing9:.
Thor! said:
WOW!!! Awesome deer! Our season starts this Monday I can't wait to have backstraps!
Thanks Thor!! Hope you get something BIG when your season starts!! We had backstraps yesterday and they sure tasted good :icon_thumright:.
ivan salis said:
wow 152 dressed thats a a big deer indeed -- nice rack on em too.
Thanks Ivan!! Yes, he was a big deer and she said he felt even bigger than that when they were trying to load him in the Blazer! This one didn't have any ground shrinkage, either, he just kept growing the longer you looked at him!! :laughing7:

~~sandcreek~~

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bassfish said:
Now that's a sweet deer.... Not many like that in NY, I can tell you that much!
Thanks Bassfish! They all eat the same :wink:, but it sure makes them taste better if they have big horns! ;D ;D At least that's what my daughter thinks :D.
~~sandcreek~~

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Buck!! Congrats!! And if you didn;t take out the inner loins, or tenderloins, then you missed out on the best meat of the deer...those are the first things I go for...back loins are good but don;t even come close to the tenderness or taste of the tender loins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread