Grand Dads English metal 1914-1915 L.S.R.N.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since iam still hip deep in snow i thought i would look into some old tin boxes handed down to me from family of those long passed as i was looking i found a brass or bronze metal that was my grandfathers my dads side ,his name was Perseus Archibaldo Trestrail I from Cornwall England the White Cliffs of Dover , he was a old sea pirate as far back as i came remember i think i was 4 when i first remember seeing him in his Brooklyn house he moved here in NY back in the 1920,s after my dad was born in England , my grandfather had some really tall tales !! about his adventures in the South Pacific Islands back in the early 1900,s :-X lol, it was told to me that when he was 14 years old he stowed away on a English Merchant Ship to sail the ocean and there he stayed until it was legal for him to join the Royal Navy he was a real guy he had tattoos of anchors mermaids and grass skirted girls on his arms and chest :laughing7: every morning for breakfast he would have a hard boiled egg in his egg stand and crack it open with a silver spoon and a salt shaker and wash it down with a cold can of beer no lie !! . When he passed away at 89 when i was in Vietnam he still had a full head of pure white hair i miss the old sea devil :( It amazing what finding in a old tin box can do to bring back memories i took a photo of his metal enjoy
HH Jim

Attachments

• Grandads metal.jpg
    Grandads metal.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 336

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Awesome looking medal and an interesting story...
I've always loved to sit down and listen to the older folks. Have learned a lot in my life by doing so,,, Regretfully, I don't have many left to listen to these days... Thought about going to a few of the nursing homes a few times and never have. Hopefully some day...
Thanks for sharing...

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool deepdiger60! Leon our family mostly kept records by an oral tradition, and luckily I did pay attention, but, I should have wrote that down!! Because now I'm older, and the younger ones have questions, and I really do want to get it right. And another thing, we should all be just exactly like our Grandpa's to our Grandkids. (insomuch as the law allows, of course)

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story, thanks for sharing.

Fossis.............

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EdleBrock said:
Hi Deepdiger, great medal. Just in case you're not aware, it's called a 1914-15 Star. You can find details about it all over the web but here's one short cut.

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishguide/ww1_1914_15_star.htm

Great story about your grandfather.

regards,

Jim
Thanks Jim for that history on that medal i remember now years ago seeing ribbon like that on the lope on top it must of long fell apart .HH Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread