Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
fossis said:
This area of AR & OK was explored, & trapped for beaver for many years, thus leaving many 'French Names'.
In Ar there is 'Petit Jean mt, Sugarloaf mt, Fourche Lafave river, Poteau river, (both states), Cossatot river, (bone crusher)', & in OK 'Cavanal Hill, San Bois mts, Fourche Maline river, Kiamichi mts,' (French for water bird), Chalbeatte crossing, etc.....
Fourche means (Fork), Poteau is supposed to mean 'Post', so must have been a trading post originally, Chouteau OK was named for Auguste Pierre Chouteau, explorer who established the first white settlement at 'Salina OK'.
My uncles found a 'flintlock pistol' while swimming below a rapids in the 30's on the Poteau.
Pic's are Sugarloaf mt, & Cavanal Hill in my area.

Fossis..............
Thanks for the trip back in time. It is always enjoyable to read and look at your post Fossis.You are a talented man.
Ed

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blind.In.Texas said:
I drank much beer and traversed many miles on Cavanal...........and the back roads........and the city streets........and the pastures. One winter, we packed all the mailboxes with snow that were on the road behind holiday hill.......good times.

You're a 'bad boy'. ::)

Fossis..........

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VanGone said:
fossis said:
This area of AR & OK was explored, & trapped for beaver for many years, thus leaving many 'French Names'.
In Ar there is 'Petit Jean mt, Sugarloaf mt, Fourche Lafave river, Poteau river, (both states), Cossatot river, (bone crusher)', & in OK 'Cavanal Hill, San Bois mts, Fourche Maline river, Kiamichi mts,' (French for water bird), Chalbeatte crossing, etc.....
Fourche means (Fork), Poteau is supposed to mean 'Post', so must have been a trading post originally, Chouteau OK was named for Auguste Pierre Chouteau, explorer who established the first white settlement at 'Salina OK'.
My uncles found a 'flintlock pistol' while swimming below a rapids in the 30's on the Poteau.
Pic's are Sugarloaf mt, & Cavanal Hill in my area.

Fossis..............
Thanks for the trip back in time. It is always enjoyable to read and look at your post Fossis.You are a talented man.
Ed

You're welcome Ed.

Fossis.............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread