Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are not necessarily boars. They are a small pig like animal indigenous to the desert south west. I think they are called a Peccary or however you spell it. They tend to run rather than fight but if cornered they could gash a leg. Monty

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a havalena. Something like a gamey Canadan bacon, no fat. They are tasty. so I an told. :coffee2:

shewter

Greenie
May 2, 2009
SE Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter landstar,Whites GM3
Yes, thats a javelina allright!! see a lot of those.I heard there not that good tasting.I beleive the are part of the rodent family though not pigs.

OP
OP
Arid-Zone-A-seeker

Arid-Zone-A-seeker

Jan 26, 2010
High Country Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Tesoro LOBO Supertrac, Garrett Infinium,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty, yes,,,, a Collered Peccery, or Javalina, They have razor sharp, canine teeth, and a large musk gland on top of the back towards the tail. That smell is what people equate with bad taste, You should skin one of these before gutting and get rid of the glands. Then they are usually pit BBqed whole and are great table fare.
Arid.

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
Yes the javelina is a peccary and is a member of the rodent family, often confused with a wild boar, they do not get much bigger than 90 lbs.....the things you have to look out for is the scent gland on the back, and be very careful not to break the bladder when cleaning or field dressing...because that will ruin the meet if broken....though some parts of the peccary do taste like pork, cooks like pork, but has a slight range flavor, but not over bearing like in other game animals......The males tend to be a little bit more gammy than the females.....

just my 2 cents....

good shots...normally they book before you too get close.... as you can see in the photo they are exiting rather quickly.

db

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread