surprise addition

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We didn't even know the big, brown heifer was with calf. Looked out towards the field Sunday morning and there she was. We ended up moving her and her mom into a smaller field closer to the house that is surrounded with hog wire. That'll help keep dogs and coyotes away from her 'til she is a little bigger.

Attachments

• newcalf1.JPG
    newcalf1.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 319
  • newcalf2.JPG
    newcalf2.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 329

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Ive been spending a lil time on a dairy lately..........nice to see a calf with its mother & not locked in a tiny wooden box! They sure are cute, aint they? Gratz on the new addition Packer, & I assume you are starting the planning stage of the next "TreasureNet Family BBQ"?? ..........just kiddin'. :D

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right AP. ALL of our ranch animals are treated with respect, clear down to the chickens. The chickens are let out of their pen every nice day so they can roam free and scratch for bugs or whatever. They return on their own in the evening and the pen door gets closed to keep predators out. The cows/cattle roam free to graze and their grazing is supplemented with oat hay and some grains. Happy steaks come from happy cows and happy eggs come from happy chickens. ;D After two years of fresh ranch eggs from well fed chickens, my daughter-in-law abosolutely HATES store bought eggs.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
<----- The 5th :-X :-X

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a cute lil surprise. Not sure who's pictured with momma & baby, but I wouldn't even attempt that. I don't trust any cow with a newborn calf...I shouldn't have to tell you the reason one particular cow is named "Mad Momma".

:wink: RR

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are 'so right' about eggs tasting much better when the chickens can eat grass & bugs & worms, but i try & keep them away from scratching in the cow manure. :P

Fossis.............

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right fossis, keep 'em out of the manure! That momma cow doesn't mind humans around her calf at all, she seems to enjoy the attention but, if a dog comes near, she acts like a raging elephant! One time I thought she was charging me and then I noticed she was after the dog that was walking behind me. Whew!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread