OP
texan connection

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Hoped someone would ask.. We dont have many birds here. BUT weve been watching these 2 toms and a few hens latley, and listening..

So i figured we could get one Tom that the county allows per yr. Figured it might be a adventure.
Got me a turkey call.
We heard the toms this morn and tried calling. No luck.. I geared up and went out.

After about 30 minutes moving and calling,, They heard me. They moved toward me, I moved toward them, then sat and called them in.

The 2 toms came around the Brush, strutted a bit. then clamed up... I was caught, but they wernt moving out. still curious,, so at about 50 ft with a 410 and 6 shot the lead bird went down. I knew this would be my only shot.
Cool,,, the other flew, I hope the coyotes dont get him. As bad as the coyotes are here. the birds have done well so far. There was very few a couple yrs ago.

Got the Bird home. took some pics and started cleaning him..

Well,,,, I slipped,, (dumb ass),,, Cut a 12 stiches gash in my wrist, and finger. went to the local ER, called my buddy and he cleaned the Tom for me.
Thats it.Crazy huh?

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't imagine hunting turks with a 410 and #6 shot. We use 12 gauges and #4 or #2 shot and aim for the head. Otherwise they fly off. Tough ol' birds.

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
410 would work fine, shoot them in the head. I've shot alot of competition shotgun and I love sub gauges. About 12 years ago I went to a game farm in central Cali hunting pheasant. Well all I had was a 28 ga Model 12 and the only ammo I could find was 7 1/2 target load, so I hunted 3 days in a row, 10 birds each day, these are planted and hunted with a pointer. Well anyway the bird cleaners were like "did you scare these birds to death?" No I just let them get out 30 to 40 yds and head shoot them. They couldn't believe it, everyone uses a 12 ga and shreds the birds there I guess. So moral of the story is any gauge shotgun is deadly if you have the experience. Lead shot works way better than steel too. So sorry about the story, but you have a great turkey dinner and I hope your hand heals up quick :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
texan connection

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
I woulda head shot it, but there was another one right behind it and we only get 1 in this county,or I could of easily killed them both with 1 shot.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TEXAN Connection said:
Hoped someone would ask.. We dont have many birds here. BUT weve been watching these 2 toms and a few hens latley, and listening..

So i figured we could get one Tom that the county allows per yr. Figured it might be a adventure.
Got me a turkey call.
We heard the toms this morn and tried calling. No luck.. I geared up and went out.

After about 30 minutes moving and calling,, They heard me. They moved toward me, I moved toward them, then sat and called them in.

The 2 toms came around the Brush, strutted a bit. then clamed up... I was caught, but they wernt moving out. still curious,, so at about 50 ft with a 410 and 6 shot the lead bird went down. I knew this would be my only shot.
Cool,,, the other flew, I hope the coyotes dont get him. As bad as the coyotes are here. the birds have done well so far. There was very few a couple yrs ago.

Got the Bird home. took some pics and started cleaning him..

Well,,,, I slipped,, (dumb ass),,, Cut a 12 stiches gash in my wrist, and finger. went to the local ER, called my buddy and he cleaned the Tom for me.
Thats it.Crazy huh?
Now that was an expensive tom you turkey! :wink: :D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice tom Albert! When I was growing up I lived in a rural area on 3 acres my Dad bought. I went hunting every evening after school. I used my lunch money to buy 2 or 3 shells at a time for my old single shot Savage 12 guage. I bought a lot of those old red paper canadian "Canuk" shotshells. They were sorry shells and when I could afford Remington green "high brass" shells I was in hog heaven. Anyway, my hunting buddy had a Savage bolt action .410 bore. He was deadly with it and probably brought in more game with that pip squeek .410 than I did with my 12 guage. One day me and Bill found a covey of quail in a huge thorn bush. In spite of everything we did we couldn't get them to flush. After chasing them from one end to the other for several minutes I grew impatient and being a kid I threw sportsmanship out the window and got down on the ground and shot right into the covey. We cleaned 12 birds and found what was left of 3 more! Dang, I could tell a dozen stories about me and Bill but this is your turkey thread and I'll shut up. You know me , can't pass up telling a true story except for the part I make up. :laughing7: Monty

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet Tom there TC......On-Call this week and haven't been yet but I'll be there.Sorry about the slice.

OP
OP
texan connection

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
MONTY, I thought about when I shot the bird,, and your deer story when i sliced my Hand.
Hope your doing well and Ill see you in about 2 weeks at the Chisolm trail hunt

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rio Grande? Nice bird we have killed a few easterns here. Our guns are built for Turkey head shots. Tight. Too risky with a 4-10. Not for a big tough 25 lb bird. Sorry about the slip with the knife but congratulations on your first bird. Looks to have decent spurs and beard too :thumbsup:.
Happy huntin
TnMtns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions