Orchids and Parrots

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wife and I raise a few orchids (50+) some are blooming now...

Picture003.jpg

DSCF2241-1.jpg

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Beautiful blooms, orchids are.

My wife has one. For a couple years it kept sprouting these weird green root-like things. She asked what I thought, I told her they look like roots - stick 'em back in the potting medium............

This spring she ignored my sage advice and darned if they didn't sprout FLOWERS !

(I won't tell why the resemblence between clover and young Columbine sprouts, coupled with my "those won't grow here - I've tried" got me banned from helping to weed her flowerbeds.............. :dontknow:)

Diggem'

Attachments

• 100104 021a.jpg
    100104 021a.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 282

ZINCLID

Apr 2, 2010
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are such beautiful orchids...a true treasure for plant lovers-ha! :headbang:oh yeah, the parrot is beautiful creature also.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Lovely flowers, and diggem, as your name implies, I wouldn't let you in my flowers either. I grow dutch Irises, spiderworts, Jacob's ladders, day lilies, sedums, honeysuckles, And aromatic peonies............NGE

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stunningly Beautiful Orchids.

Fossis............

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Parrots and orchids, how cool is that? They are both so colorful! and she grows 50?!

Diggemall, I had a friend whose husband came along and gathered up and burned all those old "onions" she had just dug up- they were actually tulip bulbs she was replanting. :D

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
Parrots and orchids, how cool is that? They are both so colorful! and she grows 50?!

Diggemall, I had a friend whose husband came along and gathered up and burned all those old "onions" she had just dug up- they were actually tulip bulbs she was replanting. :D

We have over 50 at last count......several need to be seperated, they have babies that are getting big...

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
naturegirl said:

Sounds like you could possibly be friends with my wife................................................... :icon_scratch:

Diggemall

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New blooms

DSCF2375-1.jpg

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After an afternoon shower...

DSCF2373-1.jpg

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Orchids and Parrots........New blooms added 5/21

4 more of our orchids in bloom..........

DSCF2462.jpg

DSCF2459-2.jpg

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Just goes to show - "you should never judge a book by it's cover". Orchids are some of the plainest, almost downright ugly plants, but they sure do have some of the most spectacular blooms, don't they ?

Diggem

C

Cappy Z.

One of my favorite American Painters Martin Johnson Heade painted Orchids, Butterflies, etc.

He also painted the blue Morphos Butterfly which was tattooed on Papillion in the movie starring Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman.

Nice flowers. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vibes said:
WOW what grand orchid mojo you have doin' and bloomin'!

what's the parrot's name?

The parrot's name is Miss Ruby, she is an Eclectus parrot, sub species is Vosmaeri, Vos is the largest of the Eclectus family. They make great pets, and bond to the entire family rather then just one or two members like many other parrots do..... They are easy to train, but they need, require and thrive on human interaction.

Ruby accompanies me to garage sales, flee markets, BBQ's, parks and friends. She will sit on my shoulder all day long if I let her. She talks a lot at home, but she is shy in public when she is around strangers.....

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
I like Miss Ruby's energy....I think the orchids do too! And they dig your wife's touch as well, that's obvious ;D

What an interesting addition to your family...it makes me re-think my monkey/donkey combo as future pets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread