Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That color pattern almost got me, but it's not a copperhead. The head shape, lack of pits in front of the eyes, pupil shape, and apparent body length (too long) gave it away. It's a water snake. Water snakes have a nasty temperament and tend to be aggressive. It's not a water moccassin, as moccassin's always swim on top of the water. Copperheads and water moccassins are closely related. Their young are almost indistinguishable. They are born with a green tip on their tail which they use to lure in prey. My son's a herpetologist. Sometimes I listen to him.

P

Pentico

It is a snake!
Good enough for me!
Walk the other way.......... FAST........
Great pictures...

ChrisP

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
RGINN said:
That color pattern almost got me, but it's not a copperhead. The head shape, lack of pits in front of the eyes, pupil shape, and apparent body length (too long) gave it away. It's a water snake. Water snakes have a nasty temperament and tend to be aggressive. It's not a water moccassin, as moccassin's always swim on top of the water. Copperheads and water moccassins are closely related. Their young are almost indistinguishable. They are born with a green tip on their tail which they use to lure in prey. My son's a herpetologist. Sometimes I listen to him.
Right, a copperhead will have a more triangular shaped head. If I'm not mistaken all poisonous snakes in the US do
Copper heads usually do not get that big but I did kill on in my yard last year that was a few inches over 3 feet long. I hated to kill the old thing but it had been run over by a car and was split open.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:

What he said.

Fossis..........

OP
OP
GroundS.KeepeR

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
RGINN said:
I feel 100% better now ..Because i was Fishing in the water with them..They were getting pretty close! I figured out why now..{There was 5 in one area} I was using Power bait worms ..Next time your in Walmart open a bag and smell :-X

OP
OP
GroundS.KeepeR

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
ChrisP1 said:
It is a snake!
Good enough for me!
Walk the other way.......... FAST........
Great pictures...

ChrisP
Well all along i was thinking water snakes ..then i loaded them on puter and was for sure they were CH's...Mabe some were :o

OP
OP
GroundS.KeepeR

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
vayank54 said:
RGINN said:
Right, a copperhead will have a more triangular shaped head. If I'm not mistaken all poisonous snakes in the US do
Copper heads usually do not get that big but I did kill on in my yard last year that was a few inches over 3 feet long. I hated to kill the old thing but it had been run over by a car and was split open.
Thought for sure 1 did and also had rounded tail.. thanks

OP
OP
GroundS.KeepeR

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
Another pick ...Playing pick a boo :laughing7:

Attachments

• l_9ff3f1ca3472480bbf0f3385f1f65a0a.jpg
    l_9ff3f1ca3472480bbf0f3385f1f65a0a.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,109
  • l_161287b4f9314e1688935c022818aa2e.jpg
    l_161287b4f9314e1688935c022818aa2e.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 11,648

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I saw that i would back up very slowly and respectfully and turn and do the quick happy dance out of the area!!!!

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Chug said:
If I saw that i would back up very slowly and respectfully and turn and do the quick happy dance out of the area!!!!
But not before you find a stick and play with them a bit. I don't mean hurt them or anything. Snakes like to play "strike at the stick". :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:

RGINN nailed it, it's not a copperhead.....

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent pics of the northern copperhead, 4-H. They have a different coloration than the southern ones. Chances are slim of dying from a copperhead bite if you receive treatment in a timely fashion. There is some conjecture that after being bit by a copperhead it will effect your mental state. In other words, you won't die, you will recover, but afterwards you will be crazier than a sh*t house rat. I'd like for my son to do one of those research things he's always doin on that, but he always just looks at me and says 'Cool, right Dad, how many old wives you got anyway and how many tales did they tell you?'

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics and yep its in the head shap an if you hang around long enough an close enough the eyes weren't right for copperhead !

OP
OP
GroundS.KeepeR

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
Mental Granny said:
Great pics and yep its in the head shap an if you hang around long enough an close enough the eyes weren't right for copperhead !
Any snake is poison to me.. until i get home an load the pictures :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions