West Coast Morels

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Hi All,

I live on the West Coast and love mushroom hunting almost as much as I love detecting. Our morel season is just starting here, but I've had fun checking out all the other posts showing pics of morels from you lucky folks who get to start picking them in late March or April.

One thing I've noticed is that the morels from the midwest and the northeast don't look much like the one's we pick out here. I realize there are several varieties of morels, but I don't think that's necessarily the only reason because we routinely pick different varieties here and they differ mainly by the look and arrangement of the pits.

Thought some of you might like to see what our shrooms look like. They grow primarily in disturbed ground, in white fir forests.

MP

Attachments

• May 9 2010 Morels.JPG
    May 9 2010 Morels.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 2,305

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dang player, I've been wanting to get some but I didn't think we had that many here in N. Cal. Did you know we are supposed to get a permit and you're only allowed so many pounds per year? I'm NOT kidding!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's for State Parks
4306. Plants and Driftwood.
No person shall willfully or negligently pick, dig up, cut, mutilate, destroy, injure, disturb, move, molest, burn, or carry away any tree or plant or portion thereof, including but not limited to leaf mold, flowers, foliage, berries, fruit, grass, turf, humas, shrubs, cones, and dead wood, except in specific units when authorization by the District Superintendent or Deputy Director of Off-Highway Motor Vehicles to take berries, or gather mushrooms, or gather pine cones, or collect driftwood is posted at the headquarters of the unit to which the authorization applies

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more crap
If you want to gather mushrooms in the national forest, you'll need a permit. The permits don't cost anything, but the Forest Service likes to keep records as to what the public uses the National Forest for. They also want to make sure you don't gather mushrooms in certain designated wilderness areas, and that you are familiar with the ecologically responsible techniques of mushroom harvesting. Stop by the nearest ranger station on your way to the woods and ask for a "recreational use permit."

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not just CA State Parks, it's National Forests too. In Oregon you need a permit even on PRIVATE land. I think a lot of folks gather and don't realize they are breaking the law. They have laws on berries, driftwood and all sorts of other stuff. BERRIES.....Krist, bears don't need a permit. Check this out
http://www.helium.com/items/1826684-steps-to-getting-a-morel-mushroom-permit-in-oregon

Don't mean to hijack your post player. It's just a sore spot with me. I was pleased to see your post. Gives me an idea of where I want to go....without a permit. ;D

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only 1 more player. Thank God they can only put me in prison for 6 months if I sell one without a permit in the Sluslaw Forest

Siuslaw National Forest

541-750-7000
Florence District Office
4480 Highway 101, Bldg G
Florence, Oregon 97439
541-902-8526
Hours: Mon- Fri. 8-4:30

Personal Use permits:
(This is also called “incidental use.”) People visiting the Siuslaw National Forest may collect up to one gallon of mushrooms per person per day with no permit or fee required. Up to 6 of these mushrooms may be matsutake. However all matsutake mushrooms collected under incidental use must have at least ½ inch of the stem cut off immediately after picking. Selling or exchanging mushrooms gathered incidentally is a violation of Federal regulations (Title 36 CFR 261.6F), punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 or imprisonment for not more than 6 months, or both.

Commercial permits:
Quantities under this permit are unlimited. Each person picking must have a permit and be at least 18 years of age. Permits may be purchased for one month of consecutive days (there is no limit to the number of permits per person per year). A one year permit is also available. Regular commercial permits do not include matsutake mushrooms. Only the following edible mushrooms are included: Chanterelles, Boletes, Oysters, Sulfur Shelf Fungus, Slippery Jack, Imperial Cats, Hedgehogs, Shaggy Manes, Lobsters, Cauliflowers, Pig’s Ears, and Coral Fungus

OP
OP
mountainplayer

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Packerbacker: Yep, they grow around here! This pic was from an "early" hunt...only found them on the south facing slopes because the ground wasn't warm enough anywhere else. Can't wait to get back out this weekend and get a really big haul.

The mushroom permit thing has bothered me, too. Perfect example of adding a new law instead of enforcing the laws that already exist. Takes time and money for the forest service folks, makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citizens who don't know they need a permit, and probably does nothing to stop the illegal/immoral activity that led to permits in the first place.

Thankfully, my best spots for Morels are on private land!

MP

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a few places near me that I would "think" there might be moels but I don't know who owns the land. I've heard that some states or areas require a permit even if it's on "private property"! Hard to believe they can enforce something like that. Permits to harvest mushrooms and yet they can have a big pot fest in Red Bluff over Memorial Day. They're billing it as the "West Coast Woodstock". It's being held about a mile from my place and my buddies place is right next door. You outta get the band together and come on down. Check it out.
http://www.whee2010.com/index.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions