Not the daily snapshot I was hoping for!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
One of their cameras took a snapshot of me driving a few weeks back. They claim I was doing 51 in a "posted" 30 MPH zone (30 MPH on a major 6 lane divided state Hwy???) Of course I would like to see where the sign was posted before I contest it, but they cannot tell me the location of said sign by phone.

It does not seem to be law enforcement when a citation is mailed instead of given at the time. It seems more like a fund raising effort. Maybe they were hoping to catch me 6 or 7 times that day so they could boost up the bill a bit.

Attachments

• 20100613113121000405VR3I2.jpg
    20100613113121000405VR3I2.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 418

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: How nice of Montgomery Co., MD to send me a photo of my car!

That ticket was most likely sent from the firm that contracted the cameras to your local PD. We have been battling those stupid cams here in Missouri for some time now. Don't believe for a second that the cameras are in place for crime prevention or safety. Those are only residual effects to the REAL reason: To generate income for your city coffers.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Not the daily snapshot I was looking for!

and i thought the book 1984 was a joke in 1972 :help:

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Not the daily snapshot I was looking for!

I don't believe they get an actual 'cut'. They are selling a service to the local departments for what I believe is a monthly fee. The companies also maintain as well as MONITOR the feeds. That means it will not be a police officer that witnesses your 'crime' but some minimum wage flunkie in another state.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
aa battery said:
and i thought the book 1984 was a joke in 1972 :help:

Well they got me! Here is the sign and the gun. Gotta love technology that this info is at out fingertips from 100 miles away.

Just remember, big brother is watching you!

Attachments

• sign.jpg
    sign.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 389
  • gun.jpg
    gun.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 406

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I would paste this from an article I read in a local lib rag magazine:

The camera vendor, B&W Sensors LLC, is based in Crestwood and was incorporated in 2008. When a driver is caught speeding through the school zone, B&W reviews the footage and sends it to St. Ann police, says Schrader. If the police believe the infraction merits a ticket, they submit it back to B&W which mails a $100 citation to the owner of the vehicle. St. Ann receives $60 of the fine and B&W gets the rest.

It gets better:

Yesterday Schrader told Daily RFT that since the camera vendor pays for and installs the devices for free, the traffic system won't cost the city a dime.

DanL

Feb 17, 2007
Ellicott City, Maryland
That speed camera is there because of Olney Elementary School which is why the speed limit is only 30 mph. A new Maryland law went into effect last year which allows municipalities to place speed cameras near schools and work zones. The cameras are set to trigger at 12 mph over the posted limit. I haven't been caught by one yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. But at least the fine isn't high ($40?) and there are no point. Supposedly, the law requires that all revenue raised by speed cameras be used for public safety and awareness.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a former police officer, I would like to see this challenged in court. I don't like the idea of cameras in place for the sole purpose of generating revenue for a municipality, which a lot of these seem to be. (And having worked for small municipalities, believe me, behind closed doors, your town fathers are saying 'Right. Deterrent, prevent accidents, keep people safe,... how much money can we make off this?) There's pros and cons to the whole thing, but I guess if all of us (me included) obeyed all the traffic laws, these things wouldn't really concern us.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread