Civil War family visits

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, descendant's of the Civil war did.
We currently have 170 kids here this week and I had no idea that there was a Civil War day! Maggie called about 9 am very excited, saying, "you've got to come down by the climbing tower field!" I hopped in my truck and drove to the field and couldn't believe my eyes. ACivil War camp! :hello2: Being fascinated with the Revolutionary and Civil wars, this was huge to me. :headbang:
I introduced my self to the family dressed in period clothing and we talked for over an hour about our passion pertaining the Civil War. Unfortunately, I was called for an emergency water damage. I heard later, the kids got to shoot muskets and experience life of a soldier/family during the Civil War.
Before I left for work, I gave my new friends some relics I have dug relevant the Civil war including fired and dropped Union and Confederate soldier bullets.

Amazing!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 345
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 354
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 351
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 352
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 343
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 362
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 341
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 343
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 352
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 342
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 344

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woah! Your last pic caught me by surprise! There's a kid who means business. :D
That does it! I'm breaking camp and moving to North Carolina!

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did you take that last picture with your "Hands Up"

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's good for the kids to learn about History. :thumbsup:

fossis...........

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
looks like a SCVA camp to me. (Sons of Confederate Veterans Assn)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool pic's....Look's like he aiming for the family jewel's :sad1:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Naw, he's shootin low cause the Yanks could be ridin shetland ponies. Most of my family fought for the south in the war between the states. I can find some info on the internet about them, but they were always very close mouthed about that war, and no exploits of ancestors involved were passed down orally. At all. Except one sentence. One of my great-great uncles a long time ago got tired of me pestering him about it, and told me 'That was a rich man's war.'

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What does rich man's war poor man's fight mean?

An act for "enrolling and calling out the National Forces" was signed into law on March 3, 1863, by President Abraham Lincoln. This, the first effective draft by the federal government, called for all men between the ages of 18 and 45 to be enrolled into local militia units and be available to be called into national service. The draft law exempted men in some occupations, such as telegraph operators, railroad engineers, judges, and certain other government employees. Men with mental disabilities or with certain types of dependents were also exempted. Physical disabilities that would exempt a man included imperfect vision in the right eye, lack of front teeth and molars, and loss of more than one finger of the right hand or more than two fingers of the left hand.
The actual drafting of the men was the responsibility of the states, which usually used a lottery system. When the government issued a call for more troops, each state would be given a quota to fill based on its population. The number of volunteers would be subtracted from the quota and the difference would be drafted. If a draftee, volunteered before the final muster, he avoided the stigma of compulsory service and was eligible to collect a bounty of $100 from the federal government plus additional bounties from the state and local communities. In total, the bounties could exceed $500, which was about the average yearly wage in those days. States considered it a matter of pride to fill their quotas without having to resort to the draft.
A draftee could gain an exemption by paying a fee of $300 or by hiring a substitute. The obvious inequity of this provision prompted the cry of "rich man's war, but poor man's fight." The bounty system also made possible the enrichment of a large number of unscrupulous persons called "bounty jumpers." These men would enlist to collect their bounty, then desert and enlist somewhere else and collect another bounty.

I just thought I'd throw that out there~ :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread