Bears, bears and more bears

DanL

Feb 17, 2007
Ellicott City, Maryland
Just got back from a fantastic B&B in West Virginia where the #1 attraction is the wildlife, especially the bears. The owners have their own wildlife sanctuary on the top of a mountain. Quite a few bears hang out around the B&B where they can be found laying near the deck, playing with the tire swing, swatting bowling balls strewn in the yard, or rolling in the cedar chip pit. The most we saw at any one time during the two nights we were there was three, but the owner said as many as twenty have been there at any one time during bear season. The bears know it's a safe haven and come there from miles around.

Attachments

• Bears_Sept2010_0001.JPG
    Bears_Sept2010_0001.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 329
  • Bears_Sept2010_0012.JPG
    Bears_Sept2010_0012.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 340
  • Bears_Sept2010_0018.JPG
    Bears_Sept2010_0018.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 350
  • Bears_Sept2010_0024.JPG
    Bears_Sept2010_0024.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 324
  • Redtail_Hawk.JPG
    Redtail_Hawk.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 314
  • deer_1.JPG
    deer_1.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 320
  • Bears_Sept2010_0040.JPG
    Bears_Sept2010_0040.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 331
  • Bears_Sept2010_0034.JPG
    Bears_Sept2010_0034.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 325

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are really lovely pictures DanL...what camera are you using.?
Those bears must be quite used to people.

U.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice pics. Out here when bears become that comfortable around people DOW kills them. I think I did understand this to be maybe a private wildlife sanctuary, so hopefully these guys are safe. Good pics, thanks for sharing, DanL.

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Errrrr ummm please explain to someone who does'nt know what "DOW" kills them means...me English you see :icon_scratch: :help: lol

OP
OP
DanL

DanL

Feb 17, 2007
Ellicott City, Maryland
Unicorn said:
Those are really lovely pictures DanL...what camera are you using.?
Those bears must be quite used to people.

U.

It's a Canon XSi. The bears are very use to people at the B&B. They're very timid around guests but are like lap dogs around the owners. The owners said the majority of the visitors they've had over the last month or so are from the UK.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unicorn said:
Errrrr ummm please explain to someone who does'nt know what "DOW" kills them means...me English you see :icon_scratch: :help: lol

Im guessing DOW means Department of Wildlife. :wink: :icon_thumleft: Nice pics. :thumbsup:

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Great pics. Those bears are sure cute...where at in WV, looking to take wife and son out of town for a few days...

OP
OP
DanL

DanL

Feb 17, 2007
Ellicott City, Maryland
RON (PA) said:
Great pics. Those bears are sure cute...where at in WV, looking to take wife and son out of town for a few days...

Wildernest Inn (www.wildernestinn.com), about 15 miles south of Petersburg, WV -- the only town of any size in the general vicinity. The only way to get there is via a one mile long, very steep and winding gravel/dirt road to the top of the mountain. It's daunting, but I didn't have any problems even though I drive a rear-wheel drive BMW with pretty low clearance.

Not sure how old your son is, but they don't allow kids under 16, I guess because of the bears. Here's a picture of the driveway as well as the view from the top.

Attachments

• driveway.JPG
    driveway.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 292
  • view_from_the_inn.JPG
    view_from_the_inn.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 279

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Unicorn. DOW is the Colorado Department of Wildlife. Bears are wild animals and dangerous. Up here, they have been known to break into houses and even cars. Honda Civics seem to be their favorites. When there's a problem, DOW tries to relocate them, but prime bear habitat is also prime human habitat. They become too familiar with depending on humans for food, and there's no other option but to kill them. That's why we all try to take precautions up here not to give them opportunities for a free lunch.

OP
OP
DanL

DanL

Feb 17, 2007
Ellicott City, Maryland
Frank1960 said:
I like the one where your both peeking around the tree at each other but they are all great pics

The bear and the owner of the B&B were actually playing peek-a-boo. The bear would take a peek on one side of the tree and when the owner did the same, the bear would take a peek on the other side. They did that over and over until the owner got tired of the game. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread