dragon fly hitches a ride

montepollock

Jan 25, 2006
ft scott Ks
Detector(s) used
,Eagle Spectrum, Fisher1236x2,CZ5,tesoro golden
this morning walking around early,still very cool here in SE Kansas.
when this dragonfly landed on my finger, ididn,t have camera with me so came back inside to grab the camera take pics.all this time he stayed with me I had time to take maybe a dozen pics,than taking Him back out got these 2<decided to post.
3 rd pic is a 8? spotted water spider.
I have a fascination w/spiders.
Happy hunting,Mont
Does any one know the adage about wooly worm colors predicting winter?

Attachments

• comp3.JPG
    comp3.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 295
  • compr1.jpg
    compr1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 302
  • comp2.jpg
    comp2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 294
  • comp4.JPG
    comp4.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 305

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pics. My mom told me we called dragonflies 'snake doctors'. I have no clue why; it was an old cultural thing I guess. I know about the wooly worm theory. Six of one, half a dozen of another. In Oklahoma, I could tell you the weather forecast dead on every day, but here in Colorado I ain't yet got the hang of it.

jerryfromCA

Greenie
Oct 25, 2006
Detector(s) used
Vaquero
Hello:
My mom is from Arkansas,and she said they called dragonflies Snake Doctors and she didn't know why,either.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good catch, I always wondered why we called them 'snake doctors' too. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Fossis.............

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pics again, montepollock. And I am particularly glad that other folks knew about that snake doctor thing. When I was little I was taught the names of all the plants, what they were good for etc. When I went to the school, I had to re-learn all those names, as the ones I knew apparently weren't 'politically correct'.

Blackbird

Tenderfoot
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Detector(s) used
N/A
RGINN said:
Nice pics. My mom told me we called dragonflies 'snake doctors'. I have no clue why; it was an old cultural thing I guess. I know about the wooly worm theory. Six of one, half a dozen of another. In Oklahoma, I could tell you the weather forecast dead on every day, but here in Colorado I ain't yet got the hang of it.
It is a name surviving from a classification devised by Fabricius that was based on mouthparts rather than wings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread