New addition!

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
My wife and I have been discussing dogs recently. Golden Doodles was in the top 3 breeds she wanted and had actually been researching them. I took the family (me, wife, 2 daughters) for a leasurley drive in the country last Saturday. Just outside the Farmers Market my wife squealed and pointed to the side of the road. She actually startled me as I was wiping along on a country road, everybody laughing and having a good time. I saw the sign she was pointing at "Golden Doodle Pups" at a laneway heading into a Mennonite farm. What are the odds?

So I turned the car around and we went to see them. They had 2 males and a female left. This was their 3rd or 4th litter from the same parents and all had been successful. Went home and talked about it Sun, and all of a sudden there we were 8am sharp Monday morning buying a dog.

Funny thing happened later that night. The four of us sat cross legged on the floor around the dog and took turns throwing names out. My youngrest daughter (5yrs) was soooo funny. It wasn't her turn so she sat there with her hand stuck up in the air like you do in school. She was so excited she was literally vibrating. When it came to her turn and I said "Ok Quinn, your turn." She bursts out with something like "PRINCESS RAINBOW'!! We all laughed and I'm like "Well no honey, he's a boy. Think of another and wait you turn". So we go around again each of us offering a name. Again, Quinn is sitting there ridged as an arrow with her arm straight up, little hand waving furiously. When it got back to her turn I said "Ok Quinn". She goes "STRAWBERRY TWINKLE TOES"!! Of course we're all dieing by then.... was so funny.

Eventually we agreed on Finnigan Hurley. Everybody like Finnigan... and well I offered the Hurley part. Here's why: we'd had the dog for about an hour and we were at Pet Smart getting supplies. I'm holding the dog and he starts bobbing his head around. I look at him and he looks at me. Seems fine, not making any noise. I thing "great we got a dog with a touch of the Downs. Wonder if they sell little helmets at Pet Smart?" All of a sudden I get this putrid smell and warm kibble-filled slim down my neck and into my shirt. He had puked (I assume from his first time in a car) all over my coat and INSIDE of my coat and into my shirt.

That's actually when I knew I loved him already... because I didnt freak! My wife lets out this nervous cackle laugh and is watching me as I set the puke covered dog down and going "Oh oh oh, arrrg, eewwww!" She's worried I'm about to snap!! But I took it in stride, just like one of my kids puking on me. it just happens as a parent sometimes and you just wipe it up and move on.

I'm watching the clock and can't wait to get home.

Here he is: Mr. Finnigan Hurley, 7 weeks old. (Sorry pic taken with a phone)

Attachments

• IMG00380-20110321-1545.jpg
    IMG00380-20110321-1545.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 225

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good lookin' dog. I take the lab part is "yellow" lab. My sons and I all have yellow labs, they're great all around dogs! Congrats on the new member. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
CanadianTrout

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thank you. He's a Golden Doodle. Weird name... I know. So he's part Golden Retreiver and part Standard Poodle

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I also have a Golden Retriever. She's getting pretty old now. She had papers and I WAS going to breed her but she started having hip problems so I decided not to. No sense bringing in a litter of pups that could develop the same problem. I've heard good things about the mix you have.

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Yup, that will be an excellent dog for you and the family. A great playmate for the kids and they are smart enough
to learn lots of tricks. That is great fun, teaching them tricks. Then having them doing the tricks after they are learned.

Wishing you the best of luck and fun with him.

Ray

Squishy

Jul 19, 2009
What a great dog!!! He is so cute! I love the name but I kind of like "Strawberry Twinkle toes" too. LOL!
Congratulations!!!
-Mike-

F

Felinepeachy

Those are absolutely wonderful dogs and I can tell you are going to be a great doggy dad, you love him like one of your kids. Good for you!!

congratsdoggie.gif

Attachments

• congratsdoggie.gif
    congratsdoggie.gif
    51.2 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
CanadianTrout

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks guys!! It's been a blast all week getting to know our new family member (and him getting to know us).

He's only had 1 accident in the house but thats when my wife and I were out and my 13yr old daughter "was" in charge. Even then he was smart enough to go on the hard wood floor and not the carpet. LOL

He seems to know his name already and comes when called. Best thing of all is watching my 5yr old daughter and him wear themselves out, rolling and laughing and crawliong over each other. Man, I can watch that all day....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread