Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are starting to get really bad in Oklahoma. My husband built a trap and caught 2 this morning and they have been disposed of. The damage they do to the land and the ecosystem is horrible. Its open season on these pests around here. We took some video and uploaded it to youtube. I can't believe how mean and aggressive these things can get!
Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_1209 (650x488).jpg
    IMG_1209 (650x488).jpg
    123 KB · Views: 556

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are literally taking over in most places, they root up meadows, destroy crops, eat wild turkey eggs, & they are spreading Northward all the time.

Fossis...........

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Sandcreek..... I'm sorry but I switched of the video after about a minute :-\ I know they are pests were you live and have to be controlled, but they look absolutely terrified in that cage...better you had put a bullet in each of them straight away.
They did look mean, but I suppose most wild animals would after being captured, I agree with the culling, but better it done very quick, for the sake of the animal. I bet they will taste good, though. :thumbsup:

I used to hunt years ago, but I lost the will to lift the gun to anything, but I would like to hunt those wild boar you have there :icon_thumleft:

SS

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fossis said:
They are literally taking over in most places, they root up meadows, destroy crops, eat wild turkey eggs, & they are spreading Northward all the time.

Fossis...........
And they multiply amazingly fast. We have been seeing groups of 20+, so something has to be done to controll them. We don't venture out into the woods without a gun anymore.
Thanks Fossis!
ohioaxeman said:
I smell breakfast!!!! ;D
;D They kept the sow and are going to cook her on the smoker.
Thanks ohioaxeman!
Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

Sandcreek..... I'm sorry but I switched of the video after about a minute :-\ I know they are pests were you live and have to be controlled, but they look absolutely terrified in that cage...better you had put a bullet in each of them straight away.
They did look mean, but I suppose most wild animals would after being captured, I agree with the culling, but better it done very quick, for the sake of the animal. I bet they will taste good, though. :thumbsup:

I used to hunt years ago, but I lost the will to lift the gun to anything, but I would like to hunt those wild boar you have there :icon_thumleft:

SS
It's Okay, Silver Searcher, some people just don't like to see animals trapped and killed. I can understand that. But, the guys had to tie the hogs up and take them out of the traps before shooting them. If they kill them in the traps and they bleed on the ground, no other hogs will come around when they smell the blood. The guys took them down the road, away from the trap and shot them. It was a clean and quick kill--they did not suffer in any way.
You cannot imagine the damage these animals are doing to our beautiful Tallgrass Prairie. They can destroy the ecosystem and have to be stopped. The guys are aggressively hunting them and trapping them.
Thank you Silver Searcher!

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one word for these ... Vermin ... they must be controlled or they will take over. I have a friend who is dealing with huge packs of them destroying his property. Its a constant battle. The dang critters are smart too... :o

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheRandyMan said:
Only one word for these ... Vermin ... they must be controlled or they will take over. I have a friend who is dealing with huge packs of them destroying his property. Its a constant battle. The dang critters are smart too... :o
VERMIN is right! I've heard they're really bad in Texas, Randy? They seem to mutiply so fast. When we first moved to this area, you might occasionally see one but now they are everywhere. They eat all the natural forage of the deer and bison, not to mention the wild turkey eggs, like Fossis said, and the Prairie Chicken eggs. The only thing they eat that makes me happy are the snakes.
Thanks RandyMan!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandcreek4 said:
TheRandyMan said:
VERMIN is right! I've heard they're really bad in Texas, Randy? They seem to mutiply so fast. When we first moved to this area, you might occasionally see one but now they are everywhere. They eat all the natural forage of the deer and bison, not to mention the wild turkey eggs, like Fossis said, and the Prairie Chicken eggs. The only thing they eat that makes me happy are the snakes.
Thanks RandyMan!
I bet you could make some money harvesting those Boar, the meat must be good :icon_thumleft:

SS

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Oooooohh those small ones are the tastiest!

My one suggestion when it comes to the larger hogs with big cutters is use 2~3 wraps of bailin wire to keep the mouth closed the 3~5 wraps of duck tape over the cutters to lessen the chance of them gettin in a lucky gore.

But also be careful of the small ones as they are vicious to as seen in the vid.

Happy culling and happier grillin!

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wildman4910 said:
Oooooohh those small ones are the tastiest!

My one suggestion when it comes to the larger hogs with big cutters is use 2~3 wraps of bailin wire to keep the mouth closed the 3~5 wraps of duck tape over the cutters to lessen the chance of them gettin in a lucky gore.

But also be careful of the small ones as they are vicious to as seen in the vid.

Happy culling and happier grillin!
We haven't caught any real big hogs in the traps yet, wildman, but I'll tell my husband about your suggestion of bailin wire/duck tape.
Here's a big boar that my daughter and husband killed last week. He had some pretty good sized 'cutters' on him. I would imagine those 'cutters' could tear into you if they get close enough.
Thanks wildman!!

Attachments

• IMG_6320 (650x399).jpg
    IMG_6320 (650x399).jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_6323 (433x650).jpg
    IMG_6323 (433x650).jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 497

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
They swing their sideways & up in a "J" motion and and I can tell you from first hand knowledge if they hook you good it's not nice.

Some pic found on the net.
hog 2.jpg

hog.jpg

hog t.jpg

images.jpg

Be careful have fun and good eatin!

Hogman

Mar 14, 2011
There should be a place where you can sell them alive by the pound. I don't know about Oklahoma, but in Texas I sell anything over 150 lbs and butcher the rest. There are always families that need meat.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hogman said:
There should be a place where you can sell them alive by the pound. I don't know about Oklahoma, but in Texas I sell anything over 150 lbs and butcher the rest. There are always families that need meat.
We need to check into that, Hogman.....And I bet there are some local people who would use the meat.
Thanks Hogman!
wildman4910 said:
They swing their sideways & up in a "J" motion and and I can tell you from first hand knowledge if they hook you good it's not nice.

Be careful have fun and good eatin!
Those are some big teeth, wildman! :o

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're bad in Oklahoma and gettin worse it does seem. They are good for snake control, but on the other hand they will eat you if they get you down.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
They're bad in Oklahoma and gettin worse it does seem. They are good for snake control, but on the other hand they will eat you if they get you down.
Remember that old saying, RGINN, "He went to sh*t and the hogs ate him!" ;D ? It sounds kinda funny, but it must ring true because I've heard stories about how hogs will eat humans for as long as I can remember. Pretty gruesome!

HOSSNV

Jun 24, 2007
sandcreek4 said:
These are starting to get really bad in Oklahoma. My husband built a trap and caught 2 this morning and they have been disposed of. The damage they do to the land and the ecosystem is horrible. Its open season on these pests around here. We took some video and uploaded it to youtube. I can't believe how mean and aggressive these things can get!
Thanks for looking!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4obUocg18l8

Yep we got em down on the Vrigin River near Mesquite NV , take as many as you want . My buddy at work goes after em . Any time I go down that way I take my Model 98 Winne 30-30 dam things will crash into your truck ! Hey Sandy ! Get your old man a flame thrower and he can Bar-BQ at the same time !
Hoss

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOSSNV said:
sandcreek4 said:
Thanks for looking!

Yep we got em down on the Vrigin River near Mesquite NV , take as many as you want . My buddy at work goes after em . Any time I go down that way I take my Model 98 Winne 30-30 dam things will crash into your truck ! Hey Sandy ! Get your old man a flame thrower and he can Bar-BQ at the same time !
Hoss
I don't think he needs a flame thrower, Hoss, he's already a pyromaniac and that would just make him worse :laughing7: . Although, I bet you could take out quite a few of those varmints if you threw a big enough flame. ;D

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there should be open season on em throughout the US an feed what you don't eat to the needy the jails an the prisons.....just think free, meat help your neighbors an cut down the feed bills at the jail an prisons. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tank69 said:
there should be open season on em throughout the US an feed what you don't eat to the needy the jails an the prisons.....just think free, meat help your neighbors an cut down the feed bills at the jail an prisons. :icon_thumleft:
That's a good idea, Tank. I think people around here are starting to realize what a problem these things are becoming---and we know quite a few guys who are using black mouth cur dogs to hunt them.
Thanks Tank69!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandcreek4 said:
RGINN said:
Remember that old saying, RGINN, "He went to sh*t and the hogs ate him!" ;D ? It sounds kinda funny, but it must ring true because I've heard stories about how hogs will eat humans for as long as I can remember. Pretty gruesome!

Ditto. My dad told me they lost a old neighbor lady that fell into the pen. Not much left.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread