393.2 KB · Views: 427
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 427

Tn Gizmo

Sep 4, 2007
Moss, Tn.
Detector(s) used
Compass 77B ; whites 6000D ; Garrett Master Hunter CX w/Treasure Hound (two box); Minelab Exp. II
They are scattered around in Tennessee...don't know if they are native or were transplanted and gone wild. I always though their blooms were pretty, never get them to taste like pears though.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tn Gizmo said:
They are scattered around in Tennessee...don't know if they are native or were transplanted and gone wild. I always though their blooms were pretty, never get them to taste like pears though.

Thanks for the answer, we are close enough to the SW to have them naturally, but always wondered how far they went to the other States.
They make 'prickly pear' jelly, I tried some made in AZ, very good.

Fossis..........

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's intresting. :thumbsup:

Fossis.............

S

stefen

originally, the species opuntia was native to southern and central Mexico...now is a prolific weed...

The pads can be skinned similar to peeling a potato and cooked like French toast...also used to make cactus candy...the fruit (cactus pear) is used to make jelly and also eaten as a fruit...quite good...

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
originally, the species opuntia was native to southern and central Mexico...now is a prolific weed...

The pads can be skinned similar to peeling a potato and cooked like French toast...also used to make cactus candy...the fruit (cactus pear) is used to make jelly and also eaten as a fruit...quite good...

They certainly have spread to lots of places, our local grocery stores sell the pads to the Hispanic's.
I think I also ate 'prickly pear' jelly, quite good.

Fossis............

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:

We have them here in NW Florida as well. I had a rather unpleasant experience last time I ingested cactus. ;D

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GibH said:
stefen said:

We have them here in NW Florida as well. I had a rather unpleasant experience last time I ingested cactus. ;D

Thanks for the reply, I hope the spines were removed first. ::)

Fossis........

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Got them on my ranch in Texas .. Makes good preserves, and outstanding candy!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have them in the lower elevations in Colorado, they don't seem to do well in the alpine areas where I'm at. My family eats the leaves a lot, but Maria usually buys nopalitos in jars, already pre-sliced. I used to eat their fruits a lot in Oklahoma. You roll them in sand first to get rid of the needles, which aren't near as bad as cholla spines.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The son and I play Disc Golf in Manor,Tx. and these are blooming all over the park,the pears are really tasty and make good cheap hair dye also can be used for ink,and has been used in cave art.The cactus pads are great for eating,great with eggs. :thumbsup:

S

stefen

like I said, the beavertail cactus is a prolific weed...

Like the Pampus Grass that is destroying the Pacific coastline from below Santa Maria to north of the Bay area...almost impossible to eradicate...should not have been imported in the first place...

Years ago an enterprising gentleman went around harvesting the cactus and then converted it into a liquid-like fertilizer & mulch...used a hydroseeder for a spreader application...

Problem is that so few people take advantage of the food and medicinal uses...so growth goes on unchecked...

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the answers to my question.

Fossis...........

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
These things can grow all the way up to Maine. I once rented a house that had one in the yard that I wanted to get rid of, so I ran over it with the lawn mower. Bad mistake... Everywhere a tiny piece landed one sprouted.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
These things can grow all the way up to Maine. I once rented a house that had one in the yard that I wanted to get rid of, so I ran over it with the lawn mower. Bad mistake... Everywhere a tiny piece landed one sprouted.

They 'do get around', in the protected Southern side of some hills they grow 'very large' in this area, but most are the smaller sized ones.
I guess the best way is to dig them up & burn them when they dry out.

Fossis...........

JUNKYARD DOG

Feb 29, 2008
Mid Mo
Detector(s) used
DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,
ive seen them here in mid-Mo. didnt know you could eat them.
they sound good. JYD...

TN_MD

Jan 6, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Radio Shack 2v6 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD , And a Homebuilt M.D.
Tn Gizmo said:

Yep Same here in the geographical center of Tennessee !!
Did not know they were edible till reading this post.
thanks for the info everyone.

Karl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread