You think you gotta peck out a livin?????????

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
worldtalker said:
Pilated WoodPecker,them babies are BIG,the hole 2nd from bottom is 8in.What a racket their calls make!
sorry,here's the pic

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 309
OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a mating pair,that tree is near four foot in dia.Sure do miss them Smoky Mountains!!!!!!!!
ohioaxeman said:
Dang! They sure are destructive!

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 290
OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Just had to have that tree,cuter down and brought it with me back up North and put it the ground out the back door,sure is nice to look at first thing in the mornin
worldtalker said:
Here's a mating pair,that tree is near four foot in dia.Sure do miss them Smoky Mountains!!!!!!!!
ohioaxeman said:

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 287

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you would mount the tree on a large post the birds could use it for a nest.

Fossis............

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Pileateds are huge birds. Most people have no idea. About the size of a crow or larger, I'd guess. Saw one at a Bioblitz a few years ago working a 3' diameter snag near Charbonneau. Magnificent!

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
It was a daily occurrence to see these birds,yes ,they are Magnificent,most people will never get to see one!

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
worldtalker said:
ohioaxeman said:
Same pair

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 237

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
The first one I ever saw was about ten feet away from me and was all of 18" tall. maybe taller.
I didn't know what I was looking at until I looked it up in a book.

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You're right HCW , don't see em up north where I am,gotta lot of Bald Eagles though!

F

Felinepeachy

WOW what a great picture. I've never seen the holes they make but you know what? God made them to do what they do for a reason so they are doing their job well LOL :laughing7:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
now for the bad news * =-- those woodpeckers would have reused their nest year after year * -( and its a lot of work for them to build a new nesting site) - the biggest danger to them is loss of habitat ( their nesting sites) due to forest land clear for development -- by removing the tree you took out their home nesting site .-- I sure you did not want to harm them as much as you seem to love em -- at least put the tree nest up a bit --if its too low where preditors can have easy access most birds will not use it. -- Ivan :wink:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think those are nesting holes. They are way too close to the ground. I have seen a few of them in my backyard but have never been lucky enough to get a good picture.

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
ivan salis said:
now for the bad news * =-- those woodpeckers would have reused their nest year after year * -( and its a lot of work for them to build a new nesting site) - the biggest danger to them is loss of habitat ( their nesting sites) due to forest land clear for development -- by removing the tree you took out their home nesting site .-- I sure you did not want to harm them as much as you seem to love em -- at least put the tree nest up a bit --if its too low where preditors can have easy access most birds will not use it. -- Ivan :wink:
Ivan,they build their nests WAY high,this tree was FULL of Carpenter ants!You're not to far from where I was born,Jacksonville-1951.Cheers-HH

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Felinepeachy said:
WOW what a great picture. I've never seen the holes they make but you know what? God made them to do what they do for a reason so they are doing their job well LOL :laughing7:
Felinepeachy,This ones for you,GOD BLESS,Chris.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 196

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ok full of ants --dead nesting site * -- no harm no foul. --- as you know most birds will not use a low level nesting site . the woodpeckers are cool birds with a differant sort of call -- showed my nephew a pair while hunting last season .

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Here in the PNW, Pileateds are part of a much wider ecosystem. Northern Spotted owls rely on old Pileated nests for brood sites, as well as wood ducks.

Yep, those Pileateds were probably excavating a carpenter ant gallery, but it might also have been an extensive termite colony as well. Whether ants or termites, the tree was likely first damaged by wind or weather-related cause, after which a fungus probably colonized it downward. Eventually the mushroom would kill the tree. Pileateds test the tree for easy opening. Fungal-colonized wood is kind of similar to a sponge in texture. So what looks very hard and solid often isn't.

Problem is Pileateds rely on old-growth trees for food and habitat. They only create nesting holes is trees at least 3 feet in diameter at a considerable height. So while the removed snag may at one time have had a Pileated nest, that nesting site has been gone a long time now.

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Tuberale said:
Here in the PNW, Pileateds are part of a much wider ecosystem. Northern Spotted owls rely on old Pileated nests for brood sites, as well as wood ducks.

Yep, those Pileateds were probably excavating a carpenter ant gallery, but it might also have been an extensive termite colony as well. Whether ants or termites, the tree was likely first damaged by wind or weather-related cause, after which a fungus probably colonized it downward. Eventually the mushroom would kill the tree. Pileateds test the tree for easy opening. Fungal-colonized wood is kind of similar to a sponge in texture. So what looks very hard and solid often isn't.

Problem is Pileateds rely on old-growth trees for food and habitat. They only create nesting holes is trees at least 3 feet in diameter at a considerable height. So while the removed snag may at one time have had a Pileated nest, that nesting site has been gone a long time now.
Tuberale,If ya ever been to GreatSmoky Mountains you'll see how BIG trees get.I lived in a subtropical region Cosby Tennessee for 6yrs.I liked living there better than anywhere I ever lived,I'm 59 too.They got a salamander 12in.long in the criks,only place in the world,Bugs and critters most irredecent I've ever seen!HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread