Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandcreek4 said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Now that I think about it, I have seen broken bones along with hair in panther/cougar scat but I really dont know if they would eat it all in one day seems too much... :dontknow: Plus they bury the carcass in leaves and twigs to come back later. Now they are known to drag the carcass away. Maybe thats it. Could they have dragged it away and hid it? Yes you rarely see them but maybe you could catch one on cam.
We have found deer carcasses in the forks of trees, so I know that a cougar did that. But are cougars scavengers? Will they take a dead animal and drag it off, or do they prefer only fresh kill--in other words something they've killed themselves?
My dad shot a deer one day right at dark. We picked up the blood trail the next morning. We tracked it a long ways and found a huge spot of blood in the sand but no deer. The blood trail stopped there and we couldn't find any more sign. We brought in dogs and one of them found the deer nearby, covered with pine straw. We then realized a panther did it. We had seen a panther in the area twice before this. There were four holes as big as your finger in the side of the deer where he picked it up. He had eaten a small area around the gunshot wound. Its possible a cougar is doing the same with your hogs.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
sandcreek4 said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Now that I think about it, I have seen broken bones along with hair in panther/cougar scat but I really dont know if they would eat it all in one day seems too much... :dontknow: Plus they bury the carcass in leaves and twigs to come back later. Now they are known to drag the carcass away. Maybe thats it. Could they have dragged it away and hid it? Yes you rarely see them but maybe you could catch one on cam.
We have found deer carcasses in the forks of trees, so I know that a cougar did that. But are cougars scavengers? Will they take a dead animal and drag it off, or do they prefer only fresh kill--in other words something they've killed themselves?
I know my friend shot a deer during archery but it got dark and he couldnt find it. The next morning he was able to carefully follow the blood trail that led to a pile of brush with an antler sticking out the top. Underneath was his half eaten deer.

I just realized lookindown posted a similar story. In my friends case an entire ham was missing.

Another friend watched a panther drag a deer at least 50 yards. But I didnt check on it until the next year when he told me to look for the horns. I found the skull but mice ate the horns.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
WHETHER PIGS HAVE WINGS:

"I have myself a poetical enthusiasm for pigs, and the paradise of my fancy is one where pigs have wings. But it is only men, especially wise men, who discuss whether pigs can fly; we have no particular proof that pigs ever discuss it." K. Chesterton

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
its not the fact that they have been here hundreds of years before us and big land owners. how would you like to go into hock for thousands of dollars of seeds to only see it rooted up eatin and fields turned into biga$$ mud holes .that what is getting the landowners and farmers wanting them wiped out or down to almost nothing. hell one sow can have up to a dozen in a litter and at least 2 times in one year and the first litter is ready to put out there first litter in 1-2 years after being born, and so on and so on. some of the farmers go broke and almost loose home and farm that is a family handed down business thats the big deal. not big hoss looking for prize bull, or would you want family cemetary up rooted by the friendly wild pigs nope not me .so either way the hunters want the kill the farmers want their land saved and them there are the ones that say dont kilem off save a few for seed hell i want my seed to grow so i can sell crops at market not for the hogs to eat because the spanish brought them hear i 1642 or what ever date it was .

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
olepossum said:
its not the fact that they have been here hundreds of years before us and big land owners. how would you like to go into hock for thousands of dollars of seeds to only see it rooted up eatin and fields turned into biga$$ mud holes .that what is getting the landowners and farmers wanting them wiped out or down to almost nothing. hell one sow can have up to a dozen in a litter and at least 2 times in one year and the first litter is ready to put out there first litter in 1-2 years after being born, and so on and so on. some of the farmers go broke and almost loose home and farm that is a family handed down business thats the big deal. not big hoss looking for prize bull, or would you want family cemetary up rooted by the friendly wild pigs nope not me .so either way the hunters want the kill the farmers want their land saved and them there are the ones that say dont kilem off save a few for seed hell i want my seed to grow so i can sell crops at market not for the hogs to eat because the spanish brought them hear i 1642 or what ever date it was .
They were here since 1520. I guess there is a misunderstanding. Let me explain. A private landowner in South Florida can kill a pig anytime by any means without a hunting liscense and I have no problem with that.

I am referring to the over 565,000 acre Big Cypress Preserve where there are NO farms only hunt cabins and the 1-1/2 million acre Everglades National Park. As I said they are 40 percent of the endangered panthers diet so their numbers are kept in balance and they dont cause much damage in the remote swamp.

Attachments

• pig with wings.jpg
    pig with wings.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 287

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
olepossum said:
Not everybody is a farmer, some people are hunters. Everyone has problems, you dont just get to wipe them out, you deal with them. It would be a beautiful place where everyone got their way.....it dont exist. Root on hogs, root on.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
lookindown said:
Not everybody is a farmer, some people are hunters.
Yes its the hunters that are complaining that they pay for a hunting license, wildlife management stamp, archery permit, muzzleloading permit, off road vehicle permit etc etc to hunt wild hogs in the Big Cypress Swamp and there are no hogs, only small deer. The farmers do not complain because all they need to do to enjoy a BarBQ is go out on the back porch and shoot one in the watermelon patch. Farmers want to shoot them, panthers want to eat them, park rangers want to set out the poison, 17 foot pythons want to squeeze the life out of them not to mention all the sub-tropical diseases... Im rooting for the pigs to survive in the south Everglades region.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
i say let them florish in game reserves but when they are overtaking farmers fields and peoples yards killem all or run them back to the swamp but it didnt help any when the bottom dropped out of the hog market 6 years ago and the farmers were dumping them in the wild just to get rid of them that happened in nw missouri and southern iowa and nebraska the farmers in iowa and mebraska were coming down back roads at night in the darkness and dumping them in the wilds of nw missouri a lot were rounded up and took in by other farmers and we had a fun next 3-4 years cleaning up the ones that went farrel but we did it but we didnt have a swamp for them to hide in so we got our problem cleaned up .

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are not protected in Florida, they can be killed anywhere, anytime. Trapping is by far the best way to reduce their numbers.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
lookindown said:
They are not protected in Florida, they can be killed anywhere, anytime. Trapping is by far the best way to reduce their numbers.
What you say is true on private property but they are indeed "protected" to an extent on Florida Wildlife Management Areas because they can only be harvested during legal hunting seasons by legal means often with a 15 or 17 inch minimum to shoulder height restriction.

The Big Cypress Preserve Wildlife Management Area has a 15 inch restriction but like I said they are mysteriously disappearing and most hunters are upset.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
lookindown said:
What you say is true on private property but they are indeed "protected" to an extent on Florida Wildlife Management Areas because they can only be harvested during legal hunting seasons by legal means often with a 15 or 17 inch minimum to shoulder height restriction.

The Big Cypress Preserve Wildlife Management Area has a 15 inch restriction but like I said they are mysteriously disappearing and most hunters are upset.
That is strange because on management areas with height restrictions they usually maintain a good population. :dontknow:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
lookindown said:
That is strange because on management areas with height restrictions they usually maintain a good population. :dontknow:
Most hunters believe the Park Service is poisoning them but I dont believe it. Im pretty sure its the panthers. The new Texas cougar slash Florida panther mix is a more efficient killer as well as a more efficient breeder.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
bigcypresshunter said:
I read a story about the old Spanish boars used to clean up excrement on the streets of Haiti.

LOL stupid Haitians. Hows about not pooping in the streets?
Overpopulation with improper sewage and septic systems I would imagine. Not enough outhouses. :dontknow: I heard the old Spanish pigs did a good job of cleaning up.

Ill tell you a story about a place in South Florida were a group of Mexican migrant workers lived together and all their sewage went into a 50 gallon drum in the ground with holes in it. After a heavy rain the water level rose and sewage spilled and a lot of people got sick in the neighborhood.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arizona has places like that - with the 50 gallon buckets and 20 or 30 trailer houses using it. It spills over, and then dries out - over and over and over.

Beth

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
bigcypresshunter said:
I read a story about the old Spanish boars used to clean up excrement on the streets of Haiti.

Overpopulation with improper sewage and septic systems I would imagine. Not enough outhouses. :dontknow: I heard the old Spanish pigs did a good job of cleaning up.

Ill tell you a story about a place in South Florida were a group of Mexican migrant workers lived together and all their sewage went into a 50 gallon drum in the ground with holes in it. After a heavy rain the water level rose and sewage spilled and a lot of people got sick in the neighborhood.
Back in the sixties, two 50 gallon drums with holes was a common septic tank in Florida.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lookindown,

I think, back in the 60's, that was a common practice all over the country. (60's and earlier). The old farm where I grew up, which had a few extra outbuildings (homes for the hired help), all had those tanks sunk into the ground. Then, when they went with septic tanks, they were considerably smaller than the ones we build now - with no drain fields - and then they started the "split" septic tank (with a side for solids and a smaller side for the overflow liquids) - and still no drain fields - and then the type they use now - larger, with drain fields.

However, Pa went a step further and started the sand mound system - they cost 20,000 dollars and more to put in, and only work for 4-5 years. While Pa doesn't have javelina, etc., it does have other animals that like that sort of thing, so, with the new sand mounds failing without anyone even knowing for the first year or so, the animals that like that sort of thing, start coming around much more.

I have to laugh about Haitians pooping in the street. Even now - as we speak, there are thousands of streams that have septic from towns running right into them, without too much benefit of filtration.

And, our farmers, for years, spread manure on their fields, and our US powers that be thought they had a better way - it goes into a huge (and of course, expensive) tank, with a system like a large sewage treatment plant, until it has no solids left, and then is "sprayed" onto fields. It's horrendous.

Plus, even though you have to have an approved septic system - does anyone know what happens to the stuff that septic tank cleaner guys suck out of your tank? Surprise - it gets stored for awhile, and then is sprayed onto fields. Legally - so, anything that eats grass, whether it is straight grass, or eating animals that feed on animals that eat grass - are exposed to human fecal pathogens.

Beth

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
lookindown said:
bigcypresshunter said:
bigcypresshunter said:

Back in the sixties, two 50 gallon drums with holes was a common septic tank in Florida.
I can believe it but Im referring to an incident last year.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
mrs.oroblanco said:
lookindown,

I have to laugh about Haitians pooping in the street. Even now - as we speak, there are thousands of streams that have septic from towns running right into them, without too much benefit of filtration.
I know of a sewage pipe that dumps directly into the ocean. I would imagine there are others. It was common practice to dump into rivers. I think we have many sewage dumps in the Miami River still.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
lookindown,

I think, back in the 60's, that was a common practice all over the country. (60's and earlier). The old farm where I grew up, which had a few extra outbuildings (homes for the hired help), all had those tanks sunk into the ground. Then, when they went with septic tanks, they were considerably smaller than the ones we build now - with no drain fields - and then they started the "split" septic tank (with a side for solids and a smaller side for the overflow liquids) - and still no drain fields - and then the type they use now - larger, with drain fields.

However, Pa went a step further and started the sand mound system - they cost 20,000 dollars and more to put in, and only work for 4-5 years. While Pa doesn't have javelina, etc., it does have other animals that like that sort of thing, so, with the new sand mounds failing without anyone even knowing for the first year or so, the animals that like that sort of thing, start coming around much more.

And, our farmers, for years, spread manure on their fields, and our US powers that be thought they had a better way - it goes into a huge (and of course, expensive) tank, with a system like a large sewage treatment plant, until it has no solids left, and then is "sprayed" onto fields. It's horrendous.

Plus, even though you have to have an approved septic system - does anyone know what happens to the stuff that septic tank cleaner guys suck out of your tank? Surprise - it gets stored for awhile, and then is sprayed onto fields. Legally - so, anything that eats grass, whether it is straight grass, or eating animals that feed on animals that eat grass - are exposed to human fecal pathogens.

Beth
Thanks for the info, I always figured it was a Florida thing because it was easy to dig in the sand and put down your own.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread