patterns in wood 001.JPG
    311.2 KB · Views: 1,881

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that what that is?

I've cut more trees with that same effect. I always assumed it was minerals carried up the tree but never tried to find out for sure. :dontknow:

Neat! :icon_thumright:

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I just showed my wife your pic, and she said she just read someplace about people who pay some serious money for samples like that, to be able to study the patterns made by the lightning or something.

She's gonna try and remember where she read it and I'll let you know.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scotto said:
That is too cool!

Man, I'd love to get a slice of that sucker. Incredible.

I cut it up in pieces small enough to load, but I may can cut some more, dry, sand & shellac, they would be beautiful.

Fossis...........

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigginThePast said:
Is that what that is?

I've cut more trees with that same effect. I always assumed it was minerals carried up the tree but never tried to find out for sure. :dontknow:

I don't know for sure, but it's neat anyway, notice the piece of bark (lower left), that was driven into the tree.

Fossis..............

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fossis said:
DigginThePast said:
Is that what that is?

I don't know for sure, but it's neat anyway, notice the piece of bark (lower left), that was driven into the tree.

Fossis..............

Yeah, and it has some other cracking too. I didn't know for sure, just throwing out what were my thoughts when I've seen that in person.

It would be really cool if it holds that look after drying and finishing. If it does I'll have to save some of that for projects when I come across it. How cool would it be to turn a bowl with a chunk of that? :headbang:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pine? That's pretty neat!

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
River Rat said:
Pine? That's pretty neat!

It's persimmon, a really old one.

Fossis............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigginThePast said:
fossis said:
DigginThePast said:
Is that what that is?

Fossis..............

Yeah, and it has some other cracking too. I didn't know for sure, just throwing out what were my thoughts when I've seen that in person.

It would be really cool if it holds that look after drying and finishing. If it does I'll have to save some of that for projects when I come across it. How cool would it be to turn a bowl with a chunk of that? :headbang:

That would be a' priceless bowl' for sure.

Fossis.............

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
oh wow!!! I love it! and I know where a struck tree is... thanks for sharing that!

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I would cut a couple of slabs of this stump and make giant coasters out of them. :thumbsup:

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
That "patterning" in the wood is called "spalting", and is actually caused by fungi. Spalted wood is sought after by many woodworkers & especially folks that do wood turnings. Until it becomes very "advanced" spalting does not significantly weaken most wood.

My guess is that the spalting caused that portion of the tree to contain more moisture than the rest and therefore created a more conductive path for the lightening to follow........................

Diggem'

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fossis, I love your lightening hit tree! A peice of that sellaced when you do it I would love to see, it will be so pretty ! :icon_sunny:

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Yes definitely cool. Others have some great ideas for woodworking projects. My first thought when I saw this was some wall clocks made from slices of it. I don't know anything about the characteristics of persimmon wood, but if it dries without too much warping or checking, would make some neat clocks.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
oh wow!!! I love it! and I know where a struck tree is... thanks for sharing that!

You bet.

Fossis........

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Produce Guy said:
I think I would cut a couple of slabs of this stump and make giant coasters out of them. :thumbsup:

I checked it out, but seems to be too fractured to save.

Fossis............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggemall said:
That "patterning" in the wood is called "spalting", and is actually caused by fungi. Spalted wood is sought after by many woodworkers & especially folks that do wood turnings. Until it becomes very "advanced" spalting does not significantly weaken most wood.

My guess is that the spalting caused that portion of the tree to contain more moisture than the rest and therefore created a more conductive path for the lightening to follow........................

Diggem'

Good to know, after thinking about it, the stump had several splintered places that could have soaked up more moisture, & the other areas didn't have this pattern.

Fossis.........

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mental Granny said:
Fossis, I love your lightening hit tree! A peice of that sellaced when you do it I would love to see, it will be so pretty ! :icon_sunny:

Thanks, the wood seems to be 'pretty fractured', so may not can save any.

Fossis...........

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ronwoodcraft said:
Yes definitely cool. Others have some great ideas for woodworking projects. My first thought when I saw this was some wall clocks made from slices of it. I don't know anything about the characteristics of persimmon wood, but if it dries without too much warping or checking, would make some neat clocks.

Thanks, it will make some beautiful pieces if it can be saved, (pretty fractured) though.

Fossis............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread