Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By steve71
  • 1 Post By RGINN

Thread: local

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2007
    TX
    57 times

local

painter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	red 012.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	639622  
    TerryC likes this.

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Charter Member
    us
    Dennis

Jan 2012
    Montana
    White's MXT
    2013 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Is the painter well known? ''Name'' ? Thanks for sharing.

May 2012
    11 times
    I don't know who painted it, but I really like it.

May 2007
    TX
    57 times
    Quote Originally Posted by old digger View Post
    Is the painter well known? ''Name'' ? Thanks for sharing.
    simon michael

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster
    941 times
    Well I think it sucks. How white people imagine Indians should look. However....I searched the artist up, and this guy has some pretty good stuff. A lot of his stuff is down there in Rockport, TX, and I don't think the reproductions on the internet equal seein the works in real life. I respect the painting you've posted for its mastery of color, form, composition and technique, (the artist has definitely got that down, don't know his bio but reminds me a lot of the Taos style) but nobody I know ever looked like that.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

May 2007
    TX
    57 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RGINN View Post
    Well I think it sucks. How white people imagine Indians should look. However....I searched the artist up, and this guy has some pretty good stuff. A lot of his stuff is down there in Rockport, TX, and I don't think the reproductions on the internet equal seein the works in real life. I respect the painting you've posted for its mastery of color, form, composition and technique, (the artist has definitely got that down, don't know his bio but reminds me a lot of the Taos style) but nobody I know ever looked like that.
    welll its his painting from the gallery here in Rockport.i'm sure your old enough to know exactly what indians looked like? this is a painting of wife daughter and himself guess thats what he thought he would look like as an indian?

May 2007
    TX
    57 times

sorry for bad pic

another nice painting
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	red 013.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	640768  

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    941 times
    Actually steve71, I am old enough to know what Indians looked like and still know what they look like. I just look at my family. I was born in Oklahoma. One side of the family is out of the Choctaw Nation, other side Cherokee Nation. I have close affiliations with the Plains tribes; I lived with the Kiowas for awhile. I have listened to stories told by elders that were born in the late 1800's. So yeah, I think I'm pretty qualified to tell what an Indian looked like. Plus, there's tons of historical photos that document different tribal dress. Look up the Kiowa Ledger artists. Silverhorn, ah-goon, did some great work. I know his grandson, another fine artist. I ain't knockin this artist, cause he's got some cool stuff. Texas worked very hard to exterminate or run out their Indians a long time ago, so there's probably nobody left that actually remembers how they dressed or look down there.
    vibes likes this.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

May 2007
    TX
    57 times
    well i also lived with native americans in ND and my grandmaws, grandmaw is from OK which she was 100% indian.never know our family could have known eachother back in the day.i didnt think it looked that much myself like an indian but i'm no where near old enough to have seen how indians dressed from the 1800's just from books.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    941 times
    Cool and yeah we could be distantly related. Sides that, one of my great-grandpa's was born down near Houston. You ever get up to Oklahoma, try to attend a powwow, and you can see traditional dress. Most of it is based on 19th century dress, but just like anybody else they use what becomes available, so it's jazzed up with 20th century stuff, but it's still true to the culture. My ancestors would have jumped on a compound bow in a heartbeat. They managed to get repeating rifles before the soldiers did. I tried to do it but couldn't, so if you could post that link to that Rockport museum I think folks would like to see this guys work.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1428 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    A side note: Steve, are you aware that the Comanches in TX are the only native people that never (as a tribe) signed a peace treaty? The Spaniards so feared them that they offered free land to anyone that wanted it (you had to become a mexican citizen) between mexico and the rest of north America so there was a buffer between Comanches and Mexico. Read " Empire of the summer moon" Quana Parker and the Comanches. By S. C. Gwynne. VERY good read. TTC
    At home the ground was covered with snow, and I was covered with sweat. My younger brother called me a killer and my daddy called me a vet. Still in Saigon. Charlie Daniels Band

May 2007
    TX
    57 times
    i found out it was my grandmaws mom her last name was Wilkerson. i dont think they have a link. Zona,Simons wife is 84 she's not much into computers at the art gallery

May 2007
    TX
    57 times
    thanks i might have to get that book

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    941 times
    Think I got it. Go to www.simonmichaelgallery.com. You can see some of his paintings. Book Terry C mentioned is a good read. The Kiowas and Comanches considered themselves at peace with the US but considered Texas a whole nother country, so they figured they weren't violating any treaties by raiding a foreign country. I once sat on Quanah Parker's front porch in the evening and drank a beer. Quanah was long gone so he probably didn't care. His 'Star House' has been moved to Eagle Park in Cache, OK, along with some other historical buildings, Frank James' house among them. The park is closed now and I don't think they let anybody in there, except maybe by appointment.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

Sponsors