old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the painter well known? ''Name'' ? Thanks for sharing.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I think it sucks. How white people imagine Indians should look. However....I searched the artist up, and this guy has some pretty good stuff. A lot of his stuff is down there in Rockport, TX, and I don't think the reproductions on the internet equal seein the works in real life. I respect the painting you've posted for its mastery of color, form, composition and technique, (the artist has definitely got that down, don't know his bio but reminds me a lot of the Taos style) but nobody I know ever looked like that.

OP
OP
steve71

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
Well I think it sucks. How white people imagine Indians should look. However....I searched the artist up, and this guy has some pretty good stuff. A lot of his stuff is down there in Rockport, TX, and I don't think the reproductions on the internet equal seein the works in real life. I respect the painting you've posted for its mastery of color, form, composition and technique, (the artist has definitely got that down, don't know his bio but reminds me a lot of the Taos style) but nobody I know ever looked like that.
welll its his painting from the gallery here in Rockport.i'm sure your old enough to know exactly what indians looked like? this is a painting of wife daughter and himself guess thats what he thought he would look like as an indian?

OP
OP
steve71

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
sorry for bad pic

another nice painting

Attachments

• red 013.JPG
    red 013.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 103

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually steve71, I am old enough to know what Indians looked like and still know what they look like. I just look at my family. I was born in Oklahoma. One side of the family is out of the Choctaw Nation, other side Cherokee Nation. I have close affiliations with the Plains tribes; I lived with the Kiowas for awhile. I have listened to stories told by elders that were born in the late 1800's. So yeah, I think I'm pretty qualified to tell what an Indian looked like. Plus, there's tons of historical photos that document different tribal dress. Look up the Kiowa Ledger artists. Silverhorn, ah-goon, did some great work. I know his grandson, another fine artist. I ain't knockin this artist, cause he's got some cool stuff. Texas worked very hard to exterminate or run out their Indians a long time ago, so there's probably nobody left that actually remembers how they dressed or look down there.

OP
OP
steve71

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
well i also lived with native americans in ND and my grandmaws, grandmaw is from OK which she was 100% indian.never know our family could have known eachother back in the day.i didnt think it looked that much myself like an indian but i'm no where near old enough to have seen how indians dressed from the 1800's just from books.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool and yeah we could be distantly related. Sides that, one of my great-grandpa's was born down near Houston. You ever get up to Oklahoma, try to attend a powwow, and you can see traditional dress. Most of it is based on 19th century dress, but just like anybody else they use what becomes available, so it's jazzed up with 20th century stuff, but it's still true to the culture. My ancestors would have jumped on a compound bow in a heartbeat. They managed to get repeating rifles before the soldiers did. I tried to do it but couldn't, so if you could post that link to that Rockport museum I think folks would like to see this guys work.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A side note: Steve, are you aware that the Comanches in TX are the only native people that never (as a tribe) signed a peace treaty? The Spaniards so feared them that they offered free land to anyone that wanted it (you had to become a mexican citizen) between mexico and the rest of north America so there was a buffer between Comanches and Mexico. Read " Empire of the summer moon" Quana Parker and the Comanches. By S. C. Gwynne. VERY good read. TTC

OP
OP
steve71

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
i found out it was my grandmaws mom her last name was Wilkerson. i dont think they have a link. Zona,Simons wife is 84 she's not much into computers at the art gallery

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think I got it. Go to www.simonmichaelgallery.com. You can see some of his paintings. Book Terry C mentioned is a good read. The Kiowas and Comanches considered themselves at peace with the US but considered Texas a whole nother country, so they figured they weren't violating any treaties by raiding a foreign country. I once sat on Quanah Parker's front porch in the evening and drank a beer. Quanah was long gone so he probably didn't care. His 'Star House' has been moved to Eagle Park in Cache, OK, along with some other historical buildings, Frank James' house among them. The park is closed now and I don't think they let anybody in there, except maybe by appointment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread