old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it is related to the Black Widow family.

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea we used to have lots of Orb web spiders over here but in the last few years we have been invaded by a small black non aggressive wasps (about 1/4 the size of a yellow jacket ) from Japan.
They love Orb web spiders which is lucky because, I don't really :).
The wasp will fly straight at the Orb spider and snatch them right from the middle of their web, then taking them back to their nest ,lays an egg on them. I think you know the rest :)
So if he disappears in a few days maybe you have them too..
I have seen these tiny wasps take out and then drag bigger spiders the size of a silver dollar back to their nests, its kinda gross but amazing to see as well.
happy hunting :)

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea we used to have lots of Orb web spiders over here but in the last few years we have been invaded by a small black non aggressive wasps (about 1/4 the size of a yellow jacket ) from Japan.
They love Orb web spiders which is lucky because, I don't really :).
The wasp will fly straight at the Orb spider and snatch them right from the middle of their web, then taking them back to their nest ,lays an egg on them. I think you know the rest :)
So if he disappears in a few days maybe you have them too..
I have seen these tiny wasps take out and then drag bigger spiders the size of a silver dollar back to their nests, its kinda gross but amazing to see as well.
happy hunting :)

well it Disappeared right after my pics.
sort of turned to ground under my foot :laughing7:

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol yea I hear that !!
I know they keep the insects in check and all that but, not around me either :boots:

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea what do you recon Jeff, but for me I would say so that you hit it on the nail :)
Urrrr Spiders lol :boots:

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
guess my id was correct ?

Works for me :tongue3: I googled Brown spider striped legs & Looked at images.
went buggy trying to decide which but barn spider looked close.
It didn't bite me so I was happy.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they are many types and species of of so is it hard to id some , happy huntinn

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gosh if you don't like spiders stay away from Norfic Island !! (thousands of miles from any other land mass, it has a nuts population of big spiders )

Went there and no body, especially the tourism crowd back here, told us about the amazing abundance of the bird spider population there.
I thought originally I could maybe do a bit of detecting around certain parts of the island.
But there are soo many of those big things clustering on power poles, trees and even fences facing the sun,
that I thought arhh maybe we will stick to the small town and leave the bush areas alone.
The motel we stayed at had mesh guards around any windows that could be opened.
We were told that was to keep the insect outs.. Insects my ..... detector..
Ok I can tolerate house spiders but these things were in another league of phobia haha,..
Will I be going back there,, maybe Not! :)
Did I talk to my travel agent.. Oh yes I did..

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gosh if you don't like spiders stay away from Norfic Island !! (thousands of miles from any other land mass, it has a nuts population of big spiders )

Went there and no body, especially the tourism crowd back here, told us about the amazing abundance of the bird spider population there.
I thought originally I could maybe do a bit of detecting around certain parts of the island.
But there are soo many of those big things clustering on power poles, trees and even fences facing the sun,
that I thought arhh maybe we will stick to the small town and leave the bush areas alone.
The motel we stayed at had mesh guards around any windows that could be opened.
We were told that was to keep the insect outs.. Insects my ..... detector..
Ok I can tolerate house spiders but these things were in another league of phobia haha,..
Will I be going back there,, maybe Not! :)
Did I talk to my travel agent.. Oh yes I did..

In most cases I can co-exist with spiders. I just brush or Flick them away
I prefer the daddy long leggers & Tiny ones the size of tics of course.
they can eat the flies etc for me.

but if they build a web & it's in my way, or too close to where I am at the moment they are risking their lives. :laughing7:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm waiting for the post here from the Environmental Protection Agency that id's it as a federally protected, endangered, rare, almost extinct spider and lets you know that you are in violation of federal law for this and several other infractions including digging in federally protected soil while treasure hunting. Your arraignment will be tomorrow. Wear nice clothes and bring a lawyer.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm waiting for the post here from the Environmental Protection Agency that id's it as a federally protected, endangered, rare, almost extinct spider and lets you know that you are in violation of federal law for this and several other infractions including digging in federally protected soil while treasure hunting. Your arraignment will be tomorrow. Wear nice clothes and bring a lawyer.

ROFL in that case I Lied, placed the spider gently on the Ground in my Yard & Bid it a safe happy farewell,
I also lied on the Finds & where they came from. they were dug in my yard, the jet was a toy I lost as a Kid :laughing7:, I take Drama lessons from reality tv & am prone to heavy drinking :occasion16::occasion16:

Last edited:

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haha then you could really surf the WEB :)

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barn spider. We have quite a few around this year. Check them out a nite that's when they are out the most.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread