The Mojave Cross

HOSSNV

Jun 24, 2007
On a quiet desert morning in 1934 J.Riley Bembry and a handful of veteran friends gathered at a lonely spot in the middle of the Mojave Desert to erect a cross and plaque made of wood in honor of all those who had died in all wars . As time marched on vandals and weather took thier toll on the cross . But Bembry would always paint , repair , replace or do whatever else was nesessary to keep the cross standing this included buliding a new one out of iron pipe . And stand it did as America would go through 3 major wars and countless other confilcts the cross was always there . But time was also taking a toll on the old veterans . Bembry was the last of the World War I vets alive that had put up the cross and he knew his time was near . So he reached out to two friends he had met in the desert Henry and Wanda Sandoz and asked if they would care for the cross when he was gone , they agreed immediately . Bembry died in 1984 and Henry and Wanda began careing for the cross and it was shortly after this that I met them one day as I was roaming the desert . Littile did Henry , Wanda , myself or any other of the desert people know what lay ahead for the cross .... and I am sure J. Riely Bembry rolled over in his grave . In 1994 under the Desert Protection Act 1.6 milloin acres of land were designated as a national preseve and was placed under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service , this inclued were the cross stood . In 2001 a former park service employee with the help of the American Civil Liberties Union sued to have the cross removed because it was a violation of separation of church and state .... and so the battle began . As the lawsuit made its way through the American judicial system it was orderd covered . First with a canvas bag and then with a wooden box .... so it would not offend anyone .... Lower courts twice ordered the cross to be removed only to be reversed by higher courts . An Appeals Court decided the orginal cross could stay , but if anything ever happened to it a new one could not be put up . Four days after the ruleing the cross was stolen and two days later a new one went up and was immediately taken down by National Park Service Rangers . Congress finally stepped in and approved a land swap , five acres of land inside the preserve for one acre were the cross once stood . Again the American Civil Liberities Union sued saying " this was an end run around the Constitution " . It was time to go to the Untied States Supreme Court but this time the desert people had help ... big help ! . The Liberty Instiute out of Dallas Texas came riding to the rescue with a posse of lawyers ready to take on the ACLU and at no charge ! In a 5 to 4 decision ( conservatives consenting , liberals decenting ) a land swap was approved . Henry and Wanda gave thier 5 acres to the National Park Service and in return were given 1 acre at Sunrise Rock were the cross used to sit and promptly donated the site to the Vetrerans of Foreign Wars , San Bernadino California Post . On November 11, 2012 this past Veterans Day I gathered with my friends at Sunrise Rock to see the Mojave Cross returned to its perch were it has stood for over 80 years . If you are ever in the East Mojave be sure to take the time and travel off I-15 down Cima road and stop and see the Mojave Cross . For it is a tribute not only to all those who have died in war , but it is also a tribute to faith and perseverance and every once in a while .... the little guy wins one . Thanks a heap for coming along ! Hope you had a good time ! Hoss

Attachments

• DSCN4645.JPG
    DSCN4645.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 122
  • DSCN4650.JPG
    DSCN4650.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 123
  • DSCN4658.JPG
    DSCN4658.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 111
  • DSCN4672.JPG
    DSCN4672.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 123
  • DSCN4680.JPG
    DSCN4680.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 114
  • DSCN4698.JPG
    DSCN4698.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 477
  • DSCN4718.JPG
    DSCN4718.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
  • DSCN4721.JPG
    DSCN4721.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 109
  • DSCN4728.JPG
    DSCN4728.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 134
  • DSCN4751.JPG
    DSCN4751.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 104
  • DSCN4788.JPG
    DSCN4788.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 123
  • DSCN4783.JPG
    DSCN4783.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 123
Last edited:

swampfox

Feb 19, 2007
orangeburgh,south carolina
Detector(s) used
ace 250 and others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi from swampfox, im a vet from desert storm and to think that this country would allow people with no morals of what the men and women in uniform did to protect our freedom. they should be run out of this country and not let back in.let them go to a place where they can have all their stuff about whos religion is going to offend them. it really does get me down deep in my gut and offends me. i count my self as a christain and live to go to be with my Lord some day and i hopoe that when the end comes they reap there reward.

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A awesome and worthy cause, and justice prevailed. Thank you to all that fought to keep the cross, but more over THANK YOU to all the Vets, past, present and future.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done! I'm really sick of seeing Liberals attack symbols and holidays that mean so much to so many! Great win for the American way of life and beliefs!

OP
OP
HOSSNV

HOSSNV

Jun 24, 2007
Thanks swampfox ! Glad you liked the post , but are job ( our duty ? ) as Americans is far from over . Hoss

OP
OP
HOSSNV

HOSSNV

Jun 24, 2007
Thanks FCCDFEd ! You are right on the mark . There is not a single soul in our great nation that does not owe a ton of gratitude to a vet . But I must also add this . I have never seen in my life such a deverse group of people come together for a common cause . There were Asians , African- Americans , Hispanics , Native Americans , Pacific Islanders , Anglos and many others who were not vets but just came to stand up for the direction they believe our nation should be headed towards . Hoss

OP
OP
HOSSNV

HOSSNV

Jun 24, 2007
Thanks DocBeav ! I could not have expressed it any better ! Unfortunately the battle is far from over .... and we are losing . Our rights are being attacked at every level . And it seems fewer and fewer seem to care . Our very first Congress told the citizens of our new nation " I have given you freedom ...... can you keep it ? " . Hoss

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. Wow.:thumbsup:

Mills

Greenie
Nov 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible! Keep fighting the good fight ! :icon_thumright:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thing is, the weenies don't really care about the cross, they are just whiners that use the ACLU to make waves for themselves, otherwise they would be obscure, little people with no reason to exist.
I have some Irish in me. Maybe I should get the ACLU to do away with the term "Fighting Irish" for Notre Dame's football team. Makes it look like the Irish, as a nationality, just want to fight and believe in leprechauns. Maybe the Chcago Bears should be called the Chicago Tweety Birds because they are trying to use the bear as a symbol of superior strength and power over their opponents. My granddaughter went to a high school where the school mascot was a Spartan but yet she couldn't wear a t-shirt with the word "Remington" on it because it promoted guns. Do they know what the Spartans were. What a group of sillya$$ Berkleyites!!
We just need a law against whining. Might even get some losers back to work and off the teat!
GREAT JOB HOSS!

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Goldmaster II vSat
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thing is, the weenies don't really care about the cross, they are just whiners that use the ACLU to make waves for themselves, otherwise they would be obscure, little people with no reason to exist. What a group of sillya$$ Berkleyites!!
We just need a law against whining. Might even get some losers back to work and off the teat!
GREAT JOB HOSS!

The only reason the ACLU exists is MONEY. They're constantly on the prowl for clients who do not have to pay to bring this suits. The ACLU takes up the suit and then can go back and collect it's fees from the federal gov't. Take that reimbursment away and see how many lawsuits the ACLU brings. They need the suits to perpetuate their existence.

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Goldmaster II vSat
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First let me say I'm not a Vet but continually thank those that are. I know if it weren't for them and the sacrafices they made, I'd be speaking German or Japanese today, English if it still existed would likely be a second language.

A few years ago I was taken by a program on PBS (of all places) that dealt with our veterans that are buried overseas. You couldn't watch this and not be touched. It pointed out that all we ever asked for as victors was a small plot of ground to bury our dead in the countries we fought to make or keep free. I like many Americans was aware of the veterans cemeteries in other countries but never understood the magnitude.

The program went around to the various locations. Not only are they maintained as well as Arlington, but the number of local citizens that visit our dead regularly, with their children and grandchildren. They bring flowers to place on graves of soldiers they never knew, say prayers over them and teach their children and grandchildren that the only reason they're enjoying their lives today was because of the efforts and costs these soldiers paid.

I hope anyone who has family or friends buried in one of these cemeteries can see this, just so they'll know, our people there aren't alone and forgotten. We sometimes get caught up in the politics that are going on at any given time, and feel our efforts are unappreciated. That may be the case within the halls of the various gov'ts, our own included, but the people, those who really matter don't take it for granted.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder, could I make a case where the "absence" of a cross upsets ME so they have to put crosses EVERYWHERE before I feel content with my surroundings?? Why is their disbelief in something any more important than my belief in the same thing? The ACLU can't prove who is right so they must defend BOTH cases shouldn't they? If the presence of a cross upsets someone and the absence of the cross upsets someone else, who do they "protect"?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread