Stone hammer and white bied point

nickcoin

Feb 10, 2013
Checking in from Richmond VA. Recent finds from a plowed field. In both fields where the bird point was found the white quarts really stand out. I'm unsure about what I'm calling a stone hammer. The field where this was found is 99.9 # angular smoky quarts and small amounts of white and crystal clear. This stone is very smooth and feels sort of, for the lack of a better description, oiled. I'm on the fence is this an artifact. I would welcome
some opinions

Attachments

• image-730852499.jpg
    image-730852499.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 107
  • image-2039502790.jpg
    image-2039502790.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 105
  • image-1122788521.jpg
    image-1122788521.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 98
  • image-1973660005.jpg
    image-1973660005.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 101
OP
OP
nickcoin

nickcoin

Feb 10, 2013
First post and I spell bird wrong. Bird point. Actually, in not even sure what you can a very small arrowhead.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard sir. The quartz has been worked but being quartz it is often hard to see the knapping marks. The smooth stone is a geo fact. It looks as if it should be something due to its shape. But it does not exhibit any pecking or use wear. The did often take a stone like that and flatten the end for a pestle. If you enjoy Artifacts check out the North American artifact section here. Great bunch of people. Stop in and say hi. Many topics on Quartz as well. BTW the base of that point seems to be bifurcated with auricles indicating it is a possible old piece. If you like I can move this thread over there as that is where it needs to be. Being new I do not want you to think your post is gone :)
TnMtns

OP
OP
nickcoin

nickcoin

Feb 10, 2013
Hi. Thank you for the kind words. I will check out the other section for a little more help. If you would move my post to a better area that would be great. Is this something I can do ?

Thanks again. Scott

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first one is just a rock, and thank goodness you didn't say 'fits perfectly in the hand'. (Pet peeve of mine) Nice quartz find though. If you can get this post moved in the artifact section there's a lot of help available there. Keep lookin on that site too, as you should turn up more points and artifacts. Good huntin!

OP
OP
nickcoin

nickcoin

Feb 10, 2013
RGINN said:
The first one is just a rock, and thank goodness you didn't say 'fits perfectly in the hand'. (Pet peeve of mine) Nice quartz find though. If you can get this post moved in the artifact section there's a lot of help available there. Keep lookin on that site too, as you should turn up more points and artifacts. Good huntin!

Just a rock? So what your saying is that not chief powhatan's hammer? I'm going to move the post. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread