Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went up north over Ute Pass and camped in the Williams Fork valley last night. 48 degrees in the afternoon, more snow on the ground than I expected, and muddy. When the sun went down though the temp dropped 30 degrees and the mud froze up at least. I was able to find a reasonably clear patch to spread my bedroll. (No tent) Nice night; no wind, big moon, lots of stars. Only downsides were losin an arrow in the snow and the time change makin me wake up at 4 instead of 5.

Attachments

• 11-11a.jpg
    11-11a.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 11-11b.jpg
    11-11b.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 11-11c.jpg
    11-11c.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 72

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Absolutely beautiful country. Thanks for sharing the pics.

I don't understand the time change effect tho… put the timepiece away and get up when it feels right.

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is not going to work RGINN.

No matter how pretty your pictures are, I’m moving up there. You got to suffer by yourself.

Well I might go for a visit in the summer.

They say it’s going to be in the 30s tonight, so I might be suffering with you after all.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're prospecting I suspect you can't leave a bucket of cons overnight or you wake up to a block of cons.

Hunting in fresh snow is a treat. I love tracking things in new snow. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I meant by the time change, G.I.B., is that when I get the chance to sleep nights (I work nights) I wake up naturally at around 5 a.m. every time. I got up the same this morning but since they set the clocks back the watch shows it's only 4. And for tracking things in the snow, I wish calisdad would come up here and track that arrow I lost. I guess I'll try again next May when it all melts off.

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
What I meant by the time change, G.I.B., is that when I get the chance to sleep nights (I work nights) I wake up naturally at around 5 a.m. every time. I got up the same this morning but since they set the clocks back the watch shows it's only 4. And for tracking things in the snow, I wish calisdad would come up here and track that arrow I lost. I guess I'll try again next May when it all melts off.
Glad I'm not the only one. I have been really confused lately with the clocks turning back, and traveling through different time zones.

Yesterday evening I picked up a load of sheetrock in Gypsum, and camped on top of Vail Summit. I thought about honking the horn as I went by Frisco this morning, but didn't want to wake you. After reading this, sounds like you were up before me.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
After feedin & watering all the critters in short sleeves & sandals & freezing my - -self, I guess I have to make the change to winter clothes. Rginn why you got no tent?

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I got two tents, mamabear. I bring the big one if Maria is along, but her campin season is officially closed now. I have a little cheap one I will throw up if I see bear sign. Not for protection, but to give me a little lead time in case one should ever show up. I never owned a sleeping bag or tent til I was about 18. I am used to and very comfortable with sleepin out in the open on the ground. Lying by the fire, looking up at the same stars my ancestors looked up at for thousands of years, wondering if the Milky Way really is a road you walk when you die, calms me down and makes whatever problems I may believe I have in life seem pretty insignificant. Plus it's a great way to work on your moon tan.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
last time I slept under the stars with no tent I woke up to a bear pawing at my mummy bag. I don't know how I did it, but I jumped straight up without unzipping bag, & yelled like a banshee. Don't know who was more scared, me or bear. all I know is she took off running. Scared the pudding outa me. Give me a tent please.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread