OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best part besides no preservatives, tasting great and making the whole house smell good, I made the buns for about 72 cents and the 2lb loaf of bread for about 88 cents using top quality flour and yeast. I could make it cheaper with less expensive flour but why??

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no stove or oven (other than a toaster oven) but still enjoy home made breads of all kinds. I bake them in Dutch Ovens.

Here is a few mouth watering pictures (at the bottom) for pippinwhitepaws.

1st picture is ice box rolls (white bread rolls), 2nd is whole wheat rolls, whole wheat bread (the two round loafs) and whole wheat oatmeal loaf. Last picture is the Dutch Oven cooking a loaf, while a pan of rolls cool.

The last six months I’ve been on a “No Knead” bread kick. Five minutes to mix it up. Let it set over night (or longer up to 24 hours). Form a loaf and let it rise and bake.

Here is a You Tube video link for No Knead Oatmeal loaf. Notice it only takes ¼ of a teaspoon of yeast per batch.

Attachments

• dinner rolls1.JPG
    dinner rolls1.JPG
    244.2 KB · Views: 78
  • breads.JPG
    breads.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 75
  • DO rolls.JPG
    DO rolls.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 70

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure do have a lot of suprising skills there packerbacker, Good Job!

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man !!...those look sooo good pb, almost tried to sniff this p/c screen!!:laughing7::thumbsup:

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some more buns I made today when they were still in the oven. Note the small one for my granddaughter. :)

Attachments

• buns1.jpg
    buns1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 69

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Packer,

Nice buns! :icon_thumleft: The small bun reminded me of when my daughter was a young girl learning to make tamales. She asked me if I would like something in particular, since she knows I like mine with a few raisins inside. Not everyone likes them with raisins, but to me they go together like turkey, and cranberries. I jokingly asked her to make me a foot long tamale. It turned out good, and we all had a lot of jokes, and laughs about it.

Howdy Cactusrat,

That No-Knead way sure takes all the work out of it. Do you have a No-Knead "Pan De Campo" recipe laying around somewhere?

Homar P. Olivarez

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry Homar.

No Knead Dough only works for yeast breads. Most of the yeast in the dough comes from the air. Just a little is added to get things started.

Pan De Campo is risen by baking powder and/or baking soda.

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never tried the no knead methods. The other day a lady was telling me I could make yeast with potatoes and potato bread. I've made my own starters for sourdough but I always fail to stay on top of replenishing the stuff. :(

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sourdough is to much trouble for me also. I only make bread dough in the winter because it’s to hot in the summer to be building wood fires.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can do that over a campfire packerbacker, TJE and I have a place for you on our next outdoor misadventure. Myself, I am a most excellent fry bread cook, which is a little tricky to do at this altitude.

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dutch Ovens are the next best thing to slice bread. Never can have to many of them. :laughing7::icon_thumleft:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll take a couple of loaves of sourdough Packer,The checks in the mail.Add some Habanero peppers and a little grated cheddar to the bread.:laughing7:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I can cook but never learned how to bake - so I cheat with beer bread.

A 12 oz. can or bottle of beer (different brews give the bread different flavors) and 3 cups self-rising flour. The trick is to sift the flour - you must do that!

You can add brown or white sugar, dust the top with sugar, put butter on top, add raisins or dried cranberries or nuts.

Bake in a greased pan (actually, you could mix it in the loaf pan and save washing a bowl) and serve hot with a hearty homemade soup or chili.

It's a great way to teach kids to cook because it is always going to turn out great (IF you sift the flour!).

It doesn't keep very well so your best bet is to eat it all the day you make it.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread