Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a shot I didn't use of that trestle structure for the curious. I can't find much out about it, other than mining in this area from about 1870 for the next hundred years, and this road is the access point for people wanting to visit the Holy Cross Wilderness. I generally camp farther south along Homestake Creek a lot, and Tigiwon Road has been closed a lot in the last few years. It appears to be for water transport, and it stretches way up the valley. Parts of it appear antique, but the section I'm at the materials don't appear much older than maybe 50 years, so maybe they adapted and repaired an early day structure, replacing the wood pipe with iron. In Summit County we find those made of wooden pipe and laid in a ditch, from the rivers up into the mountains, where they used the water to wash the ore, so until I find out more I'll assume that was the purpose of this.

Attachments

• 1-21f.jpg
    1-21f.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 84
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Minturn Aquaduct. It was built to carry mine tailings (in a slurry) from waaaaay back up the valley to a consolidated tailings pile. It shows up on Google Earth south of Minturn, CO along Tigiwon Rd. (various spellings for that road) and you can get an idea how far it runs. I still don't have the date of construction.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Minturn Aquaduct. It was built to carry mine tailings (in a slurry) from waaaaay back up the valley to a consolidated tailings pile. It shows up on Google Earth south of Minturn, CO along Tigiwon Rd. (various spellings for that road) and you can get an idea how far it runs. I still don't have the date of construction.
Sure, Sure... maybe the old New Jersey Zinc mine in Minturn or as some called it "Min-urn" I worked with a few of the laid off zinc miners at the Climax mine 35+ years ago. Good times back then. We'd have drag races on a long strip of black top over at Camp Hale with the fellas from the Minturn, Gillman area. The cops thought that was just fine as long as we'd not race on the highways. I'll bet that strip of road is all broken up today, as it was getting pretty trashed back then. Who knows how old your aqueduct is, but I'm sure some the old time locals in Minturn could tell you. My guess 1940s as that was the high time of that mine for the war output. That's just a guess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread