Getting ready for salmon season!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been rigging some squid jigs to use this upcoming salmon season. Nothing better than tying your own. It's a LOT cheaper and you can rig them any way you want. These are all tied using 2 hooks tied to the same 40-pound test. The hooks are rendered barbless to meet regulations. The larger ones are for albacore.

Attachments

• squid1.jpg
    squid1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 104

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok but iffin there is no water wait yur not from down here :laughing7:

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We don't have much water in our lakes either aa; that's why we're going to the ocean. We have a big trip planned this June out of Ft Bragg. We are going to camp and fish for about 5 days. We'll be doing some crabbing also. We should stock up on a lot of seafood!!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Packer, All that abundance of food you post makes me want to pack up and move to the NW coast. I was on the phone with a friend last night who 20 years ago moved out that way from Leadville, Colo. He just purchased a house in Anacortes, Wash. He tells me he's not missing Colorado what so ever. I still like it though, but to eat like you takes me a trip to Costco where I can find Salmon in the seafood section.

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My cousin lives in Salt Lake and said she pays about $30 per pound for store-bought salmon. I take the poor girl smoked salmon every chance I can and when she is out here I make sure I grill one or two to keep her happy. :) That along with home grown burgers on homemade buns. :) She's a great baker and candy maker!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I smoke fish too, Nova lox being my specialty. Makes A great gift for those who pay $30/lb for it.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scrappy, is yours salt cured or brine cured? I do brine. During the smoking, near the end of the process, I also brush on some "real" maple syrup a few times to sweeten it up a bit. Here's some

Attachments

• smoked salmon3.jpg
    smoked salmon3.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Scrappy, is yours salt cured or brine cured? I do brine. During the smoking, near the end of the process, I also brush on some "real" maple syrup a few times to sweeten it up a bit. Here's some

Oh man those look great. Hot smoked salmon is some of the tastiest stuff on planet earth. Is that steelhead or coho?

I do a 2/1 brown sugar to salt dry brine. Then I use a blend of mesquite and alder, generally with a heavy emphasis on alder.

How long do you smoke yours?

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's King Salmon (Chinooks) that we catch off the coast of Northern California, usually out of Bodega Bay, Trinidad or Ft Bragg. I use white and brown sugar in a salt brine with peppercorns and garlic powder. Brine them for AT LEAST 10 hours, let them set for a few hours to form the albumin and then smoke for about 12 hours. I try to keep the temps down so as not to "cook" them as opposed to getting a good smoking. I prefer apple wood and using the real male syrup during the last couple hours. I also sprinkle with course, fresh ground pepper. Great with a beer or two and you can throw in some home made pickled eggs!! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread