Proud owner of an antique scale

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son was helping liquidate a friend's estate and I helped him out with a few things when I could. As gratitude I was told I could pick anything I wanted that was left after the liquidation was settled. I chose this old scale made by the Computing Scale Company of Dayton, OH. It was built in the late 1800's and still works. It has a 30-lb capacity and computes the cost of the purchase up to $.50 per pound. It has a whole series of figures that "compute" the sale based on price per pound and actual weight. The customer side of the scale just displays the weight. It's pretty neat. I've seen them sell, unrestored, for over $1,200.

Attachments

• scale1.jpg
    scale1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 87
  • scale2.jpg
    scale2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 70
  • scale3.jpg
    scale3.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 77
  • scale4.jpg
    scale4.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 76

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's sweet! You going to restore it or leave it as-is? Remember those things can only be in their original state just once. Be a tuff call. Looks pretty good now. My vote is vote is a bit of a tossup, but I may lean slightly to keeping it in the original condition and that will only maybe cost you a little time cleaning it. I would think it rare to see the glass unbroken.

Last edited:
OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The glass has a very small chip in it but it's really heavy duty glass; at least 1/2" thick. I'll keep it original as long as I have it. I'm almost afraid to clean it. Wish I knew where it had been used. All I know is it's last place of residence was Nevada.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread