Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Camped here in Chaffee County, northeast of Nathrop, Colorado, along the Arkansas River last night. Nice views of the Collegiate Range off to the west and no sloggin through mud and snow which is what we have currently in Summit County. Found the remains of a half dugout in a canyon off the river and a grinding basin back up from the river in a canyon. (Hard to tell from the pic, but it's still there if y'all wanna go check it out) Nice day, 75 with a few sprinkles, but a clear night down to 33.

Attachments

• 4-21c.jpg
    4-21c.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 149
  • 4-21j.jpg
    4-21j.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 4-21h.jpg
    4-21h.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 4-21e.jpg
    4-21e.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 698
  • 4-21i.jpg
    4-21i.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 146

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did you look for any garnet ruby's? most are teeny tiny, but some sizable specimens have been found. One of the first things I did when I move to BV was go look for specimens on Ruby Mountain. Very nice shot of Princeton, I hope I got that right?

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Views!

What's with the rock? It kind of looks like a metate.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, Princeton. It's my understanding a private owner has Ruby Mountain now and doesn't let people in there. Used to, the land owners would let you in for a small fee. You can still find garnets around Sugarloaf Mountain and I observed plenty of them, but all about pin head size and not gem quality. People are still lookin cause I saw lots of specimens folks left around my campsite. I said 'grinding basin' cause I wasn't sure many would understand 'metate'. You can tell by feel that it was put to some use. This type of rock occurs in the river bottom a half mile away so it appears to have been carried to its present location, so I'll tag it as an artifact. In the brief survey I was able to do of the area I didn't turn up anything else, so it could have washed down from a temporary camp up on the flat above the canyon or be associated with a burial. I'll have to go back and check the whole place out a little better.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh! one more place you can't go anymore? I'd always thought that was all BLM land...I see some of the better spots I panned on the Arkansas are now on a map claimed up by the gold prospector clubs these days. "Good spot on the artifact".

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would have to drag me away from that last spot, especially if I had my fishing rod with me...stunning places you visit :thumbsup:

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread