Cinnamon Colored Black Bear

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to an old ghost town to do some detecting and got this picture of this bear eating morning dew grass...

Bear Close Sized.JPG

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really, really great pic. His facial expression is wonderful...

Thanks Austin...:thumbsup:...........We were about 23 yards from him and when he lifted his head from feeding he saw my dog Nugget and he tensed up, opened his mouth and gave me one of the best & luckest bear pictures I have of a bear....Nugget & I then made tracks for new ground....

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW...that's a super picture Cariboo:goldtrophy:! How old & big was he do you think? We have bears here, I've heard...lol...but have yet to see one...although 2 years ago there was a "gift" left on our property once, yuck. And someone was killed by one about 10 yrs ago while out sleeping in their car, scary. I've heard that it's the "Black" bears that "stock" people...so be careful you don't get followed....gee....sorry turned your post into a documentary.:-\

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW...that's a super picture Cariboo:goldtrophy:! How old & big was he do you think? We have bears here, I've heard...lol...but have yet to see one...although 2 years ago there was a "gift" left on our property once, yuck. And someone was killed by one about 10 yrs ago while out sleeping in their car, scary. I've heard that it's the "Black" bears that "stock" people...so be careful you don't get followed....gee....sorry turned your post into a documentary.:-\

I enjoy outdoor documentaries.....This bear is a young boar and I'm guessing a 3 year old weighing around the 200 - 250 lb range, his long hair may make him look some what larger.

There has been two fatal black bear mauling this year that I am aware of and as you say we are as careful and aware of our surroundings as one can be. Nugget is also a big help..

Just as a side note every two years the wildlife game branch has a photo contest for the front cover of the provincal hunting regulations. I summited this picture and will have to wait until fall of 2015 to see if they chose it or not...

Last edited:

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good that you entered the contest...he picture is sure good enough to be on the cover, hope they choose it...let us know what happens Cariboo. I heard that they are reintroducing Grizzly bears here in NM....how concerned should I be I wonder?

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good that you entered the contest...he picture is sure good enough to be on the cover, hope they choose it...let us know what happens Cariboo. I heard that they are reintroducing Grizzly bears here in NM....how concerned should I be I wonder?

Thanks CK..there is no prize for the front cover but just knowing one's picture made it is praise enough...

You will have no real concerns about grizzlies in NM. They will do almost any thing to avoid people and as long as people do not crowd them or push the envelope too hard invading their space, 99.9% of the time they go their way and one goes his/her way....

Two exceptions would be getting in between a sow and her cubs or accidently coming across a buried meat cache. A sow will do any thing to protect her young and a grizzly laying down a short distance away will defend his covered food source....

The day may come that we will be viewing a picture of a grizzly posted by you from your area.....Good luck on this potential adventure & quest....:thumbsup:

Last edited:

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome! :notworthy:
I don't know if I could'a got that shot, over my left shoulder while running the in the opposite direction.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks CK..there is no prize for the front cover but just knowing one's picture made it is praise enough...

You will have no real concerns about grizzlies in NM. They will do almost any thing to avoid people and as long as people do not crowd them or push the envelope too hard invading their space, 99.9% of the time they go their way and one goes his/her way....

Two exceptions would be getting in between a sow and her cubs or accidently coming across a buried meat cache. A sow will do any thing to protect her young and a grizzly laying down a short distance away will defend his covered food source....

The day may come that we will be viewing a picture of a grizzly posted by you from your area.....Good luck on this potential adventure & quest....:thumbsup:

I will have to disagree with you to some degree. With Grizzly's being on the endangered list in the lower 48, and with the non hunting issue, grizzly bears will have no additional fear in humans. Two years ago a camper was attacked and killed while sleeping in their tent up here near Cooke City, Montana. There was no provocation to initiate an attack.
I would be concerned. (jmo) Hopefully they are not reintroducing them in your immediate area?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you make the cover. My brother is a wild life photographer and also submits to Tennessee hunting reg contest. I hope you get chosen

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome pic.

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Cariboo & old digger for answering my G. bear question. I think you're both right...don't bother them & keep a watch out...which I would so for sure if they came around. And while I'd like to see one...maybe not close enough to get a picture...cluck, cluck :laughing7: I don't think we would be in the immediate area old digger...guess it would depend how far they like to roam? lol Thanks again guys! :)

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent pic C5 :thumbsup: Concerning CK's bear questions, I think both you and old digger are "both correct". Wrong place.. at the wrong time.. with the wrong bear..(black or grizz) is not good. Anyone sleeping in a tent or even a car with food is a 'serious no-no' in the bush. Let alone, unprovoked attacks that we can't understand why...(a bear protecting it's 'turf', a bear in pain with wound/wounds hampering it from hunting/feeding or even a 'tooth ache/ cracked tooth can 'set them off'!...like I say, wrong bear..at the wrong time..you just never know which bear you meet. (this, coming from someone who wrestled/captured a wild black bear cub in the Northern Alberta bush (filled a 75 lb. burlap potato sack, with only one life long scar left to remind me of their power) ..but that's a long 'true' story heh,heh. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent pic C5 :thumbsup: Concerning CK's bear questions, I think both you and old digger are "both correct". Wrong place.. at the wrong time.. with the wrong bear..(black or grizz) is not good. Anyone sleeping in a tent or even a car with food is a 'serious no-no' in the bush. Let alone, unprovoked attacks that we can't understand why...(a bear protecting it's 'turf', a bear in pain with wound/wounds hampering it from hunting/feeding or even a 'tooth ache/ cracked tooth can 'set them off'!...like I say, wrong bear..at the wrong time..you just never know which bear you meet. (this, coming from someone who wrestled/captured a wild black bear cub in the Northern Alberta bush (filled a 75 lb. burlap potato sack, with only one life long scar left to remind me of their power) ..but that's a long 'true' story heh,heh. ;)

Yes...there's always exceptions to every rule and certainly wrong place wrong time is a bad situation. Myself I have had many encounters with both blacks and grizzlies mostly when I was up in the Yukon and some here in BC, and maybe I just have a horse shoe some where but my experiences were all good.

My brother on the other hand was mauled by a grizzly west of Wonowon off of the Alaska hwy when he and a friend were elk hunting. While crossing a valley through the thick buck brush to get to the elk herd on the other side they got between a sow and her cubs unknowingly. The sow charged and knocked over his hunting partner and then turned and charged him. He managed to get off one shot before the bear was on top. When it was over they rode the quads to an oil camp and the guys there had a sat phone and a chopper flew in and took him to the hospital in Fort St John...( Having lived in Grand Prairie I think you would be familiar to this area)

He is lucky to be alive and only has some small scars where the bear sunk it's teeth in his arm..

I heard those potato sacks were good for more than just potato's...L O L

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes...there's always exceptions to every rule and certainly wrong place wrong time is a bad situation. Myself I have had many encounters with both blacks and grizzlies mostly when I was up in the Yukon and some here in BC, and maybe I just have a horse shoe some where but my experiences were all good.

My brother on the other hand was mauled by a grizzly west of Wonowon off of the Alaska hwy when he and a friend were elk hunting. While crossing a valley through the thick buck brush to get to the elk herd on the other side they got between a sow and her cubs unknowingly. The sow charged and knocked over his hunting partner and then turned and charged him. He managed to get off one shot before the bear was on top. When it was over they rode the quads to an oil camp and the guys there had a sat phone and a chopper flew in and took him to the hospital in Fort St John...( Having lived in Grand Prairie I think you would be familiar to this area)

He is lucky to be alive and only has some small scars where the bear sunk it's teeth in his arm..

I heard those potato sacks were good for more than just potato's...L O L
Well then..you know where I'm coming from C5. Your brother must of been shook up for a bit after that...'Cub protection' mauling may have been a savior instead of a 'hungry' one! ;)
Yes, know/worked/hunted/camped/fished those areas for many years..from Pink/Steamboat Mountain down south to Grande Cache/Rocky Mountain House, east to Swan Hills/(well known for some of the largest grizz in North America).
Horse shoes!!...I musta had a Necklace of'em! ;) (always slept in a tent..on the ground in the bush for over 25 yrs!) ha ;)

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...WOW....good stories you guys (because everyone was OK)....& good information as well, thanks for sharing all of that....now I'm really scared...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread