Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a "Deer" question for you guy...please

Went outside this evening & saw the horse looking at something...this guy. I think he a Coues (sp?) White tail ? But his tail is almost non existent! I also have a picture of a Mule deer that has a weird tail, will post that while I'm at it to. What do you all think? :dontknow:

DSCN6165.JPG DSCN6167.JPG DSCN6170.JPG

DSCN6180.JPG DSCN6183.JPG DSCN6185.JPG

Here's the Mule deer with odd tail....we've seen him a few times & he seems a lot less scared of people the regular ones for some reason!?

DSCN1424.JPG DSCN1441.JPG ....thanks everyone. :)

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I raise whitetail, and the mother stimulates the fawn to defecate by licking their but. this way they control where they go, and help keep them scent free when they are most vulnerable to predators. Sometimes they get carried away and bite some of the tail off, sometimes a doe will toss anothers fawn by the tail and tear it. It could also have been a predator.

Jdubya

May 19, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Top photo is also a Mulie, the ears give him away.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for helping on this.:)

Shunkaha....I didn't know we had Blacktail here in NM? Don't Mule deer & Blacktail look a lot alike besides the tail, heard they are related.

Gold Maven....thank you for that information, didn't know that....so he had his tail somehow "chewed off"...poor guy.

Jdubya....I didn't see any black coloring on him at all except near the mouth and he was really small. His rump hardly had much white on it like all the other Mule deer I've seen here, just didn't seem like one. I think the pictures make his ears seem larger than they were. We have lot's of mule deer coming by...but there is always the exception so...who knows....I do appreciate you help.

Will post a couple more pictures just in case...thanks again!

DSCN6169.JPG DSCN6177.JPG DSCN6176.JPG DSCN6178.JPG DSCN6172.JPG

Jdubya

May 19, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also the way the antlers are branching out gives it away, look at how the antlers are split there will be 4 points on each side eventually

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jdubya.....OK...thank you for your help on this. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shunkaha.....yes that is a very good piece, thanks for posting it. They said that the Mulies "hop", which I've seen...but this one didn't do that, he just ran like a horse, but not fast..took his time...so that confused me. As well as his coloring & the tail, but like Gold Maven said, it probably was bit off. So...you guys are the experts & I'll believe what you all say. :)

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm no expert by any means. But in Montana we have both Mulies and Whitetails. I've hunted and harvested them both. I've been in every state more than once and have seen a few blacktails. Even in New Mexico when I was there, but I've seen way more of them in California. The tail on the animal in your pics is a bit off though. Could maybe be a hybrid or something maybe. Cool pic either way. Maybe more than one us learned something from it.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shunkaha....I think I'm always learning (at least hope so), thanks to all the help here on Tnet...so thank you for yours again.:thumbsup: I like your avatar....we get those around our place...this was one I took a pic of..... FSCN3564.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread