Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Camped there out west of Fairplay CO last night. 70 in the day 29 at night. Thunderstorms passed through to the south and north but my area stayed dry. Found a nice spot under some aspens at the edge of an big open area. Along about 2:30am the neighborhood coyotes decided it would be great fun to surround my camp and fire up an impromptu sing-a-long for about an hour or so. Since they woke me up I reckon they expected me to join in, but I didn't have a copy of the particular hymnal they were usin last night.

Attachments

• 9-15a.jpg
    9-15a.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 9-15b.jpg
    9-15b.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 9-15c.jpg
    9-15c.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 9-15d.jpg
    9-15d.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 73

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever done any panning in that creek?... It's looking pretty up there, how's weather up there?... I was in Ouray all day today and it's hot over here. Herd on the weather it'll hit 90 in Denver tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah I panned a little, but not with much results. There's gold there but it will take a little more effort than I was willing to put into it to pull it out. Probably higher up towards the divide would be better. All private property but I didn't see any claim markers. Gold panning is way more hard work than what most folks realize. That area where I camped was the site of several structures and maybe a smelter across the road. I 'quick detected' it and came up with...not much. It will take a lot more intensive technique than what I had time for and you could probably turn up somethin. Of course, I was just lookin around the campsites for modern day coins and prospecting. Weather is pretty much hot (to us) in the daytime, around 70, and below freezin in the high 20's at night.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pennsylvania Mountain is where that 8oz nugget called the turtle nugget was found in 1990. I'll bet more there could be a few more large nuggets buried up in that region someplace?

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just in my opinion tr there is probably more gold still in the ground up here than was ever taken out. Silver too. Could be wrong on that. Extracting that might be so cost prohibitive and labor intensive it wouldn't pay for itself. Maybe someday when technology gets better we'll see them back in here tearin down the mountains. There does exist the possiblilty for the occasional 'lucky strike' that was missed years ago. It's tempting, and I think about that a lot, but I'm not ready to become the wild-eyed, crazy haired, surnburned prospector wandering the hills in search of the big one that has to be there, just yet. Could be an option for my golden years though. hahaha!

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great pictures, RGINN. It's been in the low to mid 90s here for the last 4 days. We were seeing 80s and upper 70s. Last night and night before the lows were 62 and 64. Forecast to be in the upper 80s tomorrow, then upper 70s on the weekend, but then back into the 80s for a couple of days. I'm seeing some of the trees beginning to 'turn' around the neighborhood. We haven't had too bad a summer this year; but I'm really looking forward to a very snowy winter, hope, hope.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread