Have to do this incase anyone finds one of these....not "doo-doo"....;)

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found out what this is going to be and don't want anyone to think it's "bird doo"....far from it...lol It's in my other post and old digger was helping me out with it, very kind of him. Thought we had it figured out but then I went to check on the "doo-doo" and found something surprising...it starts out like this...fools predators by looking like doo!

FSCN4577.JPG RSCN4578.JPG

...then turns into this...those aren't it's eyes...it's face actually looks like a tongue, can't see it here.

FSCN9317.JPG FSCN9315.JPG

...then wonder of wonders (at least to me)...this is what it will be....

FSCN2436.JPG ....pretty amazing! Seems kind of late in the season, haven't seen any of the Swallowtails around but yet here's one...:)

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wholly 'crap'!!...:laughing7:...no, seriously..great pics CK :) awesome to see it's metamorphosis. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: That's exactly what I thought TJE. lol Thought maybe this "new" thing ate it. lol I hope it makes it till the butterfly emerges, was real windy/rainy yesterday, but still hanging in there. Took a pic but haven't loaded it yet, you can see it's face.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I'd post a new pic....showing it's little pink face....checked it again today, still there.

FSCN0701.JPG

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm enjoying watching the metamorphosis! Ain't nature awesome?

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...me to texasred...it was in the 40's last night and he's still there, hope he starts turning brown and makes his cocoon soon, guess he will "over-winter" and hatch next spring.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We had a high of 65 yesterday and a low this morning of 39. Looking for 70s for the next few days before it drops again.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Seems a little late . "Running a little behind", has a new meaning to it when your life depends on it.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texasred...your weather sounds a bit like ours.

lockster99...yes, a little late, but that's OK...it says that the late ones will "over-winter" (like hibernation) and hatch next year, so it should be fine...I hope! ;)

...here's a new picture, taken today... FSCN1469.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little update on the caterpillar....when I checked it yesterday it was starting to turn color. This morning it was brownish (took a picture), when I checked it about 3 hours later it was gone. So from what I read, it's gone to attach itself to a twig and will hatch next spring. I'll post the picture tomorrow when I load it on the computer. And after the leaves are gone from the bush I'll look for where it's attached and take a pic. Thanks everyone.:cat:

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to post the last picture I took of the caterpillar before it left to make it's cocoon thing.

FSCN2361.JPG .....And just found this guy today.. FSCN2352.JPG ...think it's the Hawk moth?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions