tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These caves are known as the Mellen Hill Caves used by the Fremonts and later the Utes. It's just south of the town of Dinosaur in NW Colorado. I took some time to stretch my legs and have a look around. It was disappointing to see some of the rock art had the hand of some dummy's add their stuff to this sites:icon_scratch:. After this interesting time I had down in the canyon I looked back at my truck and saw I better quit with the fun and get back on up and get on in to Montrose. This site has steep, slippery very crude unimproved trails and isn't a good place for folks who lack in moderate agility to check out. I saw a few lizards still running around and that gave me the sense I best keep an eye out for rattle snakes also. It was a nice break from the road on this beautiful fall afternoon.

Attachments

• fremont site 1.jpg
    fremont site 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 89
  • fremont site 2.jpg
    fremont site 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 84
  • fremont site 3.jpg
    fremont site 3.jpg
    957.9 KB · Views: 104
  • fremont site 4.jpg
    fremont site 4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 90

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I recall reading "in the end days good men would be living in them".

GOD Bless

Chris

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IT is sad that us modern people have to ruin the markings of the past people. My uncle & I hiked on the hill to the east of Sturgis where the KKK carved KKK in the rocks back in the day. I know I saw them when I was young, and there was so many carvings up there we could not even find it. I was really looking forward to seeing them and was greatly disappointed.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recall reading "in the end days good men would be living in them".

GOD Bless

Chris
Also, some of the not so good will be unable to escape the coming wrath in caves

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IT is sad that us modern people have to ruin the markings of the past people. My uncle & I hiked on the hill to the east of Sturgis where the KKK carved KKK in the rocks back in the day. I know I saw them when I was young, and there was so many carvings up there we could not even find it. I was really looking forward to seeing them and was greatly disappointed.
I know. I just don't get why some feel that they need to add their stuff to old sites.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IT is sad that us modern people have to ruin the markings of the past people.

There is a canyon south of me that has some of the older markings that were pecked in the rock, and some idiot shot a number of holes in and around the markings. "Some people"

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's quite an interesting area,thanks for sharing! Bet that would be a good area to surface hunt? Must be some source of water in the immediate area?

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful place & nice pictures tamrock....need to be on the look out for cougars there, we have a smaller version of a cave like that & find lion prints in it. I'm also very :( to see that some "not so nice" people have defaced it, what a shame. I've never been up that way & am also a lover of "Dinosaur" things (thanks again old digger :thumbsup:)...bet they have a nice museum in that town maybe?

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's quite an interesting area,thanks for sharing! Bet that would be a good area to surface hunt? Must be some source of water in the immediate area?
There is a river named the White River that's close to this site that runs to the Green river to the west. The draw in this canyon was dry, but I do believe it'll run a few month out of the year. There are sites like this scattered through out this part of the state. I travel though this area more in the winter heading to the Salt Lake area due to the weather in these parts can be remarkably beautiful compared to the ragging snow storms going on all around this region. Some how the bad weather seems to mostly go to the north and south of these parts. More often I see sunshine going this route. I think the east and west running mountain range known as the Uinta's in Utah has an effect on these parts? The north face of the Uinta mountain were fully white caps already and here on the south side the weather is great.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful place & nice pictures tamrock....need to be on the look out for cougars there, we have a smaller version of a cave like that & find lion prints in it. I'm also very :( to see that some "not so nice" people have defaced it, what a shame. I've never been up that way & am also a lover of "Dinosaur" things (thanks again old digger :thumbsup:)...bet they have a nice museum in that town maybe?
The Dinosaur national monument area is a wonderful place to visit. I enjoy this area every time I drive through and it really isn't all that crowded a good stretch of the year. Just take a look at some of the sites CK and plan a trip. https://www.google.com/search?q=raf...Q_AUoAg#tbm=isch&q=dinosaur+national+monument

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread