• heckle jeckle.jpg
    heckle jeckle.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 71

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, Tamrock, I also grew up with Heckle and Jeckle. Lots of laughs!

The pictures are appreciated, Kat and BosnMate!

Got a little story about a trip to the zoo. A friend came over one day when I was living in Ft. Worth. Asked me if I'd like to go the zoo just to get away for a while. He and his wife had been arguing and he had left her in a 'huff'. So we went to the zoo. As we were walking by the cage that held the crow/ravens, he was just finishing a cigarette. The crows were waiting for someone to give them something. He flipped the cigarette butt into the cage. One of the crows grabbed, burned his mouth/bead/tongue. He started hitting the wire barrier and yelling. He evidently had enough sense to know some 'choice' words to call us. He was yelling, "S--O-B----!" and even the M--F bit. He was very verbal and very plain spoken! We got away from there quickly before someone discovered us.
When I was growing up, I always heard that if you split the crow's tongue, it could talk. Not so! If anything, it will hamper their talking. We didn't have to listen closely to know what it was saying; we could understand very well.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
All this has caused me to remember a crow story. First off, I don't know the difference between a crow and raven, and for years I've called them all crows, but have lately found out that at least around here, they are ravens. Anyhow, my cousin snagged a baby crow out of it's nest, and him and his wife raised it up for a pet. It was really a great pet, they never trimmed the feathers, and it could come and go when ever it felt like it, but it was raised a welfare bird, and knew where the free and easy food was, so it hung around most of the time. The crow grew up with a cat in the house, and the two of them got along fine. They were living on a ranch, and my cousin killed and skinned a bobcat that was about the same size as their house cat. The cat and the crow were in the house, so my cousin sort of made a mask of the bobcat hide, and put it on the cat. The crow took one look at the house cat now bob cat, and went insane. There must be some genetic code that warned the crow??? Of course we all got a laugh out of it.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 5 that come into my bird feeder on a regular basis. But, they must hear me when I get my camera out and turn it on because they are gone before I can get out the door.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tamrock....that's very cute, thanks for sharing it. :thumbsup:

texasred....was the crow really "talking" (as a mynah bird would) or was that your interpretation of it? Funny story.:)

BosnMate.....another great story, thanks for sharing that! You can tell the difference between crow & raven by size, raven larger and thick beak. Raven also has a "shaggy" look to its neck area.

fyrffytr1....they are alert birds for sure & not easy to get pics of, unless they have a lot of exposure to humans I guess?

....wanted to post this scary pic...look at the eye...:O

FSCN1638.JPG

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
many of the semi wild, semi tame, birds can talk on the river walk in San Antonio, Crows, Ravens, Magpies, and even grackles

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's so funny BIGSCOTT...like to see/hear that. I guess if mynah birds can, why not all the others?

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, Kat, the crow talked really plain. Real English, cussing us 'like a sailor'. The s--of a b--t-h and m---er f====* was plain enough for any body to understand. Yes, they can actually talk.

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
About ten years ago I was sitting in our bedroom when I hear my better half who is sitting on the front porch say "Knock it off Bob!" I look out the window and say "What are you talking about?" She says "Your not fooling me by meowing!" I reply "It ain't me!" So i go sit back down in my recliner. A few minutes later I hear "Meow, Meow, Meow." I go back to the window, look at my wife and she's giving me the "look." About that time the meowing starts up again. I look up and sitting on the edge of the roof is a crow meowing at my wife. I can only assume that it learned the trick to get food from a crazy cat lady somewhere.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texasred....wonder who taught them to say those things...construction workers maybe?:laughing7:

2screwed....funny story! I guess they just learn from what they're around most. My sister lived in L.A. and had a mocking bird that woke her every morning by doing car alarm's & brakes screeching.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes they learn from what they hear and know if they talk for you they are more apt to get some tastey morsels from you. most of the birds on the river walk say ''hello''

, or ''poly want a cracker'', I guess they learn this from kids, I may be in San Antonio this week and haven't been to the river walk in years might just go and try to get some video.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've heard that the teenagers have taught the crows at the zoo to say 'bad words'. I've known a couple of budgies/parakeets that said a few things that were quite risqué. I cousin had one that ask if you wanted to *^*^ (have sex). The 'f' wasn't pronounced very well, but enough that you knew what was said. The bird also had a couple of 'off color' words and short phrases that it said. When the boys mom found out about the fowl's foul language, she made him get rid of it.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BIGSCOTT.....really, you're a crazy cat "Lady"? For some reason I thought you were a "he" with the avatar name, was thinking "Braveheart"...sorry. Yes please...do try to get some video of the talking birds, but guess it can't be posted on Tn for us to hear?:dontknow:

texasred....that's a funny story, thanks for sharing it. :thumbsup:

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
sure i can post it as soon as i video it, something else i forgot a big bunch of the birds also do the wolf whistle

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Something else while i am in San Antonio, and if i get the time is to see the Texas revolution display that Phil Collins donated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread