Shafts of Light above the Bay Area

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Let the Midnight Special shine her light on me:)
shaftsAlexBurke.jpg

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, what an awesome picture.

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, what an awesome picture.

Thank you a couple of times I've put the memory card in my coin pocket or sock just in case I got robbed on the way to the car and I'd have to hopelessly explain what I saw lol. This was one of those times:)

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
...aliens...

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Alex...incredible shot!

Just a thought: You could have that printed on metal, and I'd bet
there are a dozen companies or businesses that would want that
shot hanging in their office.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really outstanding, Alex. A very spectacular shot of the Golden Gate. It's like the portal of all the dreams coming and going of this great country of ours. I talked to my mom this last weekend and for what ever reason she goes in to stories of hers (she's 90) She told me of the time she watched the ship leave the Bay with my dad aboard headed out to fight a war or maybe it was the occupation of Japan that time?. She still has the pass from when her and another newly wed wife were allowed to come on ship to say goodbye to their husbands that day long ago now.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That's really outstanding, Alex. A very spectacular shot of the Golden Gate. It's like the portal of all the dreams coming and going of this great country of ours. I talked to my mom this last weekend and for what ever reason she goes in to stories of hers (she's 90) She told me of the time she watched the ship leave the Bay with my dad aboard headed out to fight a war or maybe it was the occupation of Japan that time?. She still has the pass from when her and another newly wed wife were allowed to come on ship to say goodbye to their husbands that day long ago now.

Tamrock, to me your post was emotional. I've sailed for my country, under that very bridge. Stood many a helm watch, forget how many days the course never changed, 270 true, due west, ran smack into Japan. We had a magnetic compass, but didn't ever use it, instead used the gyro compass that points to true north. This brings a chuckle to my mind. You stand the helm watch for an hour, then lee helm for an hour, that way you are supposed to stay more focused, but every now and then your mind wanders, and the ship will get a degree or so off course, then suddenly the officer of the deck is on your butt, "Helmsman, mind your helm." Definitely didn't want that to happen very often.

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a great shot!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tamrock, to me your post was emotional. I've sailed country, under that very bridge. Stood many a helm watch, forget how many days the course never changed, 270 true, due west, ran smack into Japan. We had a magnetic compass, but didn't ever use it, instead used the gyro compass that points to true north. This brings a chuckle to my mind. You stand the helm watch for an hour, then lee helm for an hour, that way you are supposed to stay more focused, but every now and then your mind wanders, and the ship will get a degree or so off course, then suddenly the officer of the deck is on your butt, "Helmsman, mind your helm." Definitely didn't want that to happen very often.
Sailing the ocean is something I've dreamed to do someday, but may never will??. Great story Bosn's. I can only picture it from your description in words. I'm sure they'll be memories you'll cherish forever. Thank your for you time.:icon_salut:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Alex, This picture was taken by my granddaughter. She lives in Oakland. Thought you might like to see it, I think she did a good job on it.

View attachment 1115220

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Alex, This picture was taken by my granddaughter. She lives in Oakland. Thought you might like to see it, I think she did a good job on it.

View attachment 1115220

BosnMate it's giving me an error code when I click on attachment, I am interested in seeing her awesome work though, please re-post it if you get time. Also thanks everyone for the compliments and nice personal comments.

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alex, that is one of the most beautiful shots I have ever seen. Did you use a filter, or was that all just natural lighting? It is incredible! Very eerie in the colors. I know why DizzyDigger said that about the metal...the whole sky/cloud area looks metallic to me. You're either a genius or a lucky guy.

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where did you take that from Oakland hills or El Cerrito?

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
7.jpg
Here's my second try on my granddaughters photo of SFO across the bay.

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where did you take that from Oakland hills or El Cerrito?

Hi Woody, this was taken from Oakland Hills at the first turnout going towards the top on Grizzly Peak drive if you are coming from Hwy24.

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1115944
Here's my second try on my granddaughters photo of SFO across the bay.

This is really good, if she wanted to share it on Bay Area Street Photography on Facebook I bet it would get a bunch of likes, it's also a great group to find Bay Area locations. Occasionally, without reading the group rules some idiot will come in and say that's not street photography but I or others will defend her lol. I think her editing is good too, very tasteful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread