Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN2042.JPG

These guys and gals were in my yard this morning. Gotta be pretty desperate for food to be feeding on pine needles! Been 2-3 feet of snow on the ground here for the last two months, hard for them to forage. Photo taken through window with screen which sort of looks like a fence in the pic. I don't really like these large varmints, they destroy my flower beds and berry bushes, but I do feel a little sorry for their hunger in this kind of winter. Can no longer discharge firearms in this county, and my shoulders are shot from too many years of hard work so I can't use a bow, so they get by without ending up being invited for dinner. Supposed to be 40-50 degrees here for the next ten days, I do believe the thaw has finally begun!!!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starvation is a rough way to die. I have driven across country on I-80 during the winter and seen crows flying along the highway searching for food. It's a tradition now for me to buy large bags of Cheetos to treat them as I drive. I wait 'til I see some crows and then toss a handful out on the roadway. It's amazing how far away they spot this and fly down to get them. :)

Meadow

May 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starvation is a rough way to die. I have driven across country on I-80 during the winter and seen crows flying along the highway searching for food. It's a tradition now for me to buy large bags of Cheetos to treat them as I drive. I wait 'til I see some crows and then toss a handful out on the roadway. It's amazing how far away they spot this and fly down to get them.

Aw. On the off chance those are 'my' crows for whom I'm waiting up here in Canada, we thank you. :) Hey, one never knows. Cheetos are their favorite food. They should be back in a week or two and hubby bought a bag of Cheetos just for them today! Even though he hates parting with the Cheetos.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1129041

These guys and gals were in my yard this morning. Gotta be pretty desperate for food to be feeding on pine needles! Been 2-3 feet of snow on the ground here for the last two months, hard for them to forage. Photo taken through window with screen which sort of looks like a fence in the pic. I don't really like these large varmints, they destroy my flower beds and berry bushes, but I do feel a little sorry for their hunger in this kind of winter. Can no longer discharge firearms in this county, and my shoulders are shot from too many years of hard work so I can't use a bow, so they get by without ending up being invited for dinner. Supposed to be 40-50 degrees here for the next ten days, I do believe the thaw has finally begun!!!

Not sure if you've ever seen or done this but of course feed corn for them is one thing but I see you have trees so here's what im saying. Half inch diameter dowel rods cut 10" long sharpen one end, make several of them. Go to your tree and drill 1/2" hole couple inches about 4" from bottom of tree and pound the dowels in. Stick apples on the pegs and give the deer something to eat, gives you a chance at some other great pictures. The deer can smell those apples from long distance. Even though I used to hunt before Lyme disease got me I always liked to watch the deer and hated knowing a lot starve in my area.

OP
OP
gunsil

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if you've ever seen or done this but of course feed corn for them is one thing but I see you have trees so here's what im saying. Half inch diameter dowel rods cut 10" long sharpen one end, make several of them. Go to your tree and drill 1/2" hole couple inches about 4" from bottom of tree and pound the dowels in. Stick apples on the pegs and give the deer something to eat, gives you a chance at some other great pictures. The deer can smell those apples from long distance. Even though I used to hunt before Lyme disease got me I always liked to watch the deer and hated knowing a lot starve in my area.

Like I said, they eat well off my flowers and berries in season, they have killed hundreds of dollars of berry bushes. If I feed them now it will be even harder to keep them away from my plants in the summer. I have friends who feed them, and although I hate to see them starve they are overpopulated here, and hard winters are part of nature's way of thinning the herd when there are no natural predators to feed on them and man isn't allowed to use guns to hunt them.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Maryland we're allowed to hunt and tag several due to overpopulation and them starving. Funny how man always steps in and ruins the balance things then idiots in elected positions make rules that make things worse like your law of not being able to cull the herds

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still look healthy enough to survive I think...(I've watched Elk standing up on hind legs reaching up 7-8 feet high "browsing" on same trees in heavy winters). Great pics!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread