Spring Break, no Bikinis!!!

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
This is my camp at Glass Butte, over in the Eastern Oregon High Desert. Camped there during spring break a few years ago, and dug a little obsidian, besides exploring the country. There are some abandoned mercury mines close by, and in the other direction there is an area loaded with petrified wood. One of the small towns over there did a mining claim on the petrified wood, and it's open to the public, so anyone can go dig for it anytime.
Me in camp, the fire is out and I'm having a last cup of coffee before heading out after obsidian.
4.jpg
This picture is the next morning. It snowed a little that night.
3.jpg
And the last picture is an obsidian vein up on the mountain. There are also boulders of obsidian, different colors and different sizes depending on where you go on the mountain.
5.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Location shots :thumbsup:

& thank you for not wearing a Bikini :notworthy:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice camp. Country looks a lot like Middle Park down here. You can't beat canvas for cool weather campin, if you need a tent. Any evidence of prehistoric activity in the area of that obsidian deposit?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pictures Bosn, looks relaxing....👍

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Location shots :thumbsup:

& thank you for not wearing a Bikini :notworthy:

Id wear a Bikini, but I can't stand to have people point and laugh, and there were other people camped down the road a bit.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice camp. Country looks a lot like Middle Park down here. You can't beat canvas for cool weather campin, if you need a tent. Any evidence of prehistoric activity in the area of that obsidian deposit?

Yes, there was some prehistoric activity, but modern stuff is mixed in with it now days. There is so much obsidian scattered out there on the desert that they didn't have to travel to the mountain to gather it. That part of the desert is in the great basin, and it was once a lake. When Glass Butte erupted it must have blown balls of that glass for miles, because it lays all over the ground out in the flats, and Wagon Tire Mountain isn't that far away, and also has obsidian, and water, and I haven't found a spring on Glass Butte. Some of the obsidian on Wagon Tire Mountain, to my untrained eye, looks like it's a lower grade, almost basalt looking, but breaks up like obsidian.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice pictures Bosn, looks relaxing....
It could be relaxing, except it was kind of cold. Springtime weather over there is hit and miss, but usually cold, at least at night. Oregon Nat'l Guard F-16's train over that area, and they have come over my camp so low you could count the rivets. Awesome. And you don't hear them coming, if you aren't looking they are on top of you before you know it.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
It could be relaxing, except it was kind of cold. Springtime weather over there is hit and miss, but usually cold, at least at night. Oregon Nat'l Guard F-16's train over that area, and they have come over my camp so low you could count the rivets. Awesome. And you don't hear them coming, if you aren't looking they are on top of you before you know it.

Powered by a Pratt&Whitney F100-PW-229 engine,only cost 7,000,000,well....in 1999 they did.I worked in the East Hartford Plant for 27 years as a Machine Repair Tech.I loved my job,and as a bonus........I got paid for it.:laughing7:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a broken black obsidian point just off the road that runs between Midas and Tuscarora Nevada. It should still be sitting on the file cabinet at our shop in Carlin, Nevada with our other little collection of rocks there. I did put a sample of gold ore that had a speck of native gold on it from a little mine in the Cripple Creek Colorado area a fella gave me that was involved with trying to open the mine up, but somebody took and that mine never did get off the ground because the folks who own the mineral rites couldn't come to any terms with the fellas that wanted to mine it.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fighter jets are definitely cool to watch. I don't see em flying low in the Nevada outback like I did 10 or 15 years, but I can hear em in the upper atmosphere sometimes out there and I don't see them. This video shows a little of what it's like being in the cockpit of a plane like that. I'm sure I'd be getting airsick moving around like these guys do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4D0yx4DvBk&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions