Mining Mini Horses who knew?:)

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I went to a Mini Horse show this weekend and in talking to one of the "Mini's" owner's I learned they were originally bred for mining and pulling ore cars in small tunnels which I found interesting and thought you guys might too. Here are some pics:

MiniHorseSmSz.jpg MiniHorseAirSmSz.jpg FlowingSmSz.jpg

Lastly if you would like to watch a ridiculous video I put together from Saturdays show here it is:) Please watch in HD.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is interesting. I've never herd these mini horses were actually bred for the purpose of mining. I just thought it was done as a new kind of pet to have. Nice action shots.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. I don't know of them ever bein used up here, but looks like it would work. They might not be as sure-footed as burros, so terrain might have somethin to do with where you could use them?

Bullet:Mich.

Mar 20, 2003
Michigan USA
I raised, bred and trained registered Mini Horses to ride, drive and show for a few years. They are high dollar now. I know that they used Draft Pony's in the mines but I never heard the story before that they bred Mini Horses for this. My first pair of Mini Horses that I started with I bought from N Dakota out of a wild horse herd, they were 3 yrs old and had never been handled by man, when I got them they were tuff and mean like all wild horses. There hoofs were in real bad shape when I got them home and the first time I trimmed their hoofs it took two of us, one to hold them and one to trim. This was 30 yrs ago. They are easier to train then pony's are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread