tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the days when I worked as a miner in Leadville, Colorado I lived in Buena Vista, Colorado and we would car pool from there to the mine. A friend sent me some old photos taken from around Leadville and Lake county going back to the 19th century to some I think as recent as the 1970's and I recognized this 1st photo and exactly where it was taken. I've drove by this old barn many times and wondered when it would ever fall. When I left the area in the mid 1980s, this old barn was still holding up. I recall in the car pool to and from the mine 30+ years ago we'd go by that barn in the winter and it had what looked like 3+ feet of fresh snow on top and someone would always mutter "wonder when that thing is ever going to collapse"? I don't know when for sure it happened? I just noticed maybe 20 years ago now it wasn't there any more. I'm thinking that old barn stood for maybe 100 years from when it was built.?? You can see the pile of old lumber in the 2nd picture I took yesterday around 6:30 pm. It wasn't the best time of day to take the picture and I did it with my phone, but I hope to get a better shot some time with morning light and zoomed in from the same position the vintage pic was taken, so I can have a good before and after set of this place called Hayden Flats.

Attachments

• barn in haden gone.jpg
    barn in haden gone.jpg
    854.4 KB · Views: 96
  • barn in haden.jpg
    barn in haden.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 84

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My step kids had a barn on the place that was built with wooden pegs and hand hewed timbers. The roof went bad, and they didn't keep it repaired, and now that old barn is gone,
replaced by a pole barn that they can mechanically stack 1,000 pound bales of hay. The workmanship on that old barn was something to see. It was a workhorse barn that wasn't
useable, so they gutted it and it still wasn't efficient for much of anything, so they just let it go when the roof went bad.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My step kids had a barn on the place that was built with wooden pegs and hand hewed timbers. The roof went bad, and they didn't keep it repaired, and now that old barn is gone,
replaced by a pole barn that they can mechanically stack 1,000 pound bales of hay. The workmanship on that old barn was something to see. It was a workhorse barn that wasn't
useable, so they gutted it and it still wasn't efficient for much of anything, so they just let it go when the roof went bad.
Growing up some in Iowa there were some old worn out barns we as kids would explore. They were made of hand hewn timbers and pegged together of hard woods. I remember even then I admired the beauty of the construction. If only I saw the value in those back then. Now days most have been disassembled and sold in pieces. I see forks every now and then on the road pulling a load on a flatbed behind a 1 ton pickup heading to a market someplace with those old timbers. I think I should photograph some of the one's I see before they all come to the fate as this one did.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread