Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In SE Colorado. I always find the horse petroglyph interesting, as I haven't seen that style used anywhere else. I didn't see any surveillance cameras, but did see a lot of doves nesting in the rocks and swarms of mosquitoes. I hadn't seen the last petroglyph before. It's a life size profile of a man wearing a roach headdress. It's about the height it could have been carved by a man on horseback.

Attachments

• 6-11a.jpg
    6-11a.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 73
  • 6-11b.jpg
    6-11b.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 53
  • 6-11c.jpg
    6-11c.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 6-11d.jpg
    6-11d.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 6-11f.jpg
    6-11f.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 54

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, real nice!

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody knows anything about that last one I would appreciate hearing it. When I first spotted it, I thought 'Pawnee!'. I would say it dates back to historic times and not the work of some modern day graffiti artist, as that's a very good representation of a deer tail roach. A graffiti artist in modern times would probably not be familiar with the roach and would draw feathers.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the horse. No clue on that warrior?

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! the last one kind of looks like a Spaniard wearing a Spanish helmet?

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tamrock this is a place that has attracted the attention of those 'explorers before Columbus' guys. The horse looks a whole lot like an ancient Etruscan depiction of a horse. Some one in modern times came in and outlined it in a black marker and left us a good example of why you should not chalk or paint petroglyphs. You look very closely at it and there's some markings they missed and some they added. There's three horizontal lines above the forequarters of the horse that were probably by the original artist, but they aren't painted in. As to the guy in the roach headdress, I'll venture it's historic Indian, and a depiction of a Pawnee man. For what reason or purpose I don't know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread