Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally a two day weekend so I cut a trail to South Park. I wanted to camp along Four Mile creek but too many people up in there. Buffalo Peaks was a little farther than I felt like driving, so I went up towards Weston Pass, between the two. The spot I like to camp is pretty close to the pass and about at the treeline, and in my experience this place has some terrific lightning storms. It's the monsoon season now, so a few lightning strikes in the afternoon but nothin like last time. Saw a few mountain bluebells in bloom. Found some evidence my favorite spot was also a favorite with hunters back in prehistoric times. Once a good camp site, always a good camp site. Pretty much drizzling rain all afternoon and off and on through the night. Never broke 60 during the day and stayed above 40 at night. Nice sunrise over Black Mountain before the rain came back in today.

Attachments

• 7-20a.jpg
    7-20a.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 7-20b.jpg
    7-20b.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 7-20c.jpg
    7-20c.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 7-20f.jpg
    7-20f.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 54
  • 7-20h.jpg
    7-20h.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 56

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My son in law owned some property in South Park, and I was there one time, on just a day trip. One thing I remember is a stream full of beaver dams. Great pictures as usual.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice artifact!. I got one made of the same looking pink material almost like that one. Found it on the opposite side of the Arkansas from the old arista north of BV.. I went over Cottonwood about 2 this afternoon on my to Montrose. Nice and cool it was up on top.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That material is red jasper, tr, and most likely came from over along Trout Creek where they had quarries. I saw some shattered red and yellow jasper lying around and that caught my attention, cause anytime you see that lying around and it doesn't occur there naturally you know it was brought in. The site has been slightly impacted by modern day camping, so probably not much research value left. I made note of the location anyway and took pics of other surface material in case anybody gets interested in the future. I'll take the safe bet and ID it as a temporary prehistoric Ute hunting camp.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never knew of the quarry in the Trout Creek area. It looked kinda pink in the photo. The artifacts and pieces I've along the Arkansas are mostly the red and yellow jasper. Some I've found are the white and brownish quartzite material that I find more of in the Gunnison valley when I stop and look on the shores of the Blue Mesa reservoir. Not able to look along the shores now, because the reservoir is full. In the winter you'll have all that sandy shoreline to look around. I believe I've found old camps as you'll come on to multiple flakes all in a small general area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread