pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I looked out the window yesterday to take in the view, and this fellow was on the window. Now it was challenging getting a good shot of it leaning out the 2nd level casement window reaching across taking random shots then seeing if one turned out, not to mention the reflection that didn't help matters. The sticks habitat ends around here as it's pretty far north for them, first one I've seen here and happy that I encountered the little fellow. This one seemed really young been totally green in colour, but later I found out that it could have been an Indian Stick Insect.
P1010883.JPG

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. We had those in Oklahoma and called them walking sticks. They were feared as they were bad to crawl in your ear and howl like a coyote while emitting a gas that smelled a lot like that froot loop cereal. Not really, just pumping up their PR. They're harmless, and their best defense is their camouflage. They blend right in with the plants.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool. We had those in Oklahoma and called them walking sticks. They were feared as they were bad to crawl in your ear and howl like a coyote while emitting a gas that smelled a lot like that froot loop cereal. Not really, just pumping up their PR. They're harmless, and their best defense is their camouflage. They blend right in with the plants.

Fruit loops eh? :laughing7: Wife had one that was on her shoulder one day, looked more like a real stick and a whole lot bigger.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a lot younger in Africa, I used to find them twelve inches and more. My one brother had quite an insect and moth collection.

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice picture of the walking stick pepperj, it's not easy getting a good shot of those. It's our season for them here, they're everywhere on the false indigo plants, green & brown ones. Just found one longer than my hand on the rake handle. My goodness old digger, 12 inches...sounds like a "walking branch". lol

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

here they are called Walking Sticks also.
saw a green one earlier this year outside my Back door.
Normally I only see them on Tree Limbs.
and they are Brown.

Never heard of the word indian connected to them before

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool picture! I use to see them a lot in OK as well. The Walking Stick always surprises me a little but I usually freak out when I see a praying mantis!:icon_pale:

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
here they are called Walking Sticks also.
saw a green one earlier this year outside my Back door.
Normally I only see them on Tree Limbs.
and they are Brown.

Never heard of the word indian connected to them before

I often get it mixed up when I read something that has the word Indian tied to it, I seem to always think American Indian instead of the India Indian.

So the Indian reference regarding the stick is referring to the country India.
It good that we're not a walking stick Jeff, looks like there's no upside for being a male.:laughing7:

Carausius morosus (the 'common', 'Indian' or 'laboratory' stick insect) is a species of Phasmatodea (phasmid) that is often kept by schools and individuals as pets. Culture stocks originate from an original collection from Tamil Nadu, India. Like the majority of the Phasmatodea, they are nocturnal. Culture stocks are parthenogeneticfemales that can reproduce without mating. There are no reports of males, although in captivity, gynandromorphs (individuals with both female and male characteristics) are sometimes reared

Last edited:
OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool picture! I use to see them a lot in OK as well. The Walking Stick always surprises me a little but I usually freak out when I see a praying mantis!:icon_pale:

I have a great photo of the Mantis on my hand just looking at me on a cool October morning, I think it's one of my coolest photos that I've taken of anything. It's on a hard drive that I have to get transferred over this winter, I'll post it up when I get it retrieved.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread